Engagement lever can rotate too far

Howard_S

Registered
Registered
Just got the thread cutting attachment and it appears that when I turn the engagement lever too far clockwise the slot no longer engages the sliding shaft. Of course I can pul the lever out and reposition it and everything works fine. Just 30 degrees in each direction works fine. Have I missed something during the installation? Seems like there should be some sort of pin to limit the clockwise rotation.

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is for a Sherline 3100 attachment.

Howard, I'm going to guess that the intermediate/sliding shaft that engages the leadscrew is reversed. There are two flats on that shaft; one is shorter than the other. The shorter flat goes towards the tailstock end. Try removing yours and see if it is oriented correctly.

Mikey
Thanks, that's might be the problem, I will try it tomorrow. I have a DRO and found that I need to get a longer sliding shaft from Sherline so I need to take it apart anyway. They are just 5 miles from my house.

Mikey
I couldn't wait, so I took it apart and the sliding shaft was in correctly. I suspect that the lathe with the DRO option is slightly different. Sherline says to use part 81509 which is a slightly longer sliding shaft which I hope will keep the engagement lever engaged and not drop out. Report tomorrow.

Okay, let us know how it goes.

The problem is solved. I picked up from Sherline part P/N 81509 this morning and it went together fine and works great. Turns out the sliding shaft is .055 longer which is enough to keep the lever engaged. This is explained on page 5 as a note to people that have a lathe with a DRO. I should have read this but didn't. However this is my weak excuse, the note is located 2 pages after the installation instructions and after how to cut a typical thread. Still my blunder!

Main thing is that it works. I don't have a DRO on my lathe so its good to know that this particular part is different.

Thanks for following up, Howard!

Back