Engine assembly lube on machine ways

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
Registered
Anyone ever used assembly line for like when assembling an engine on their ways? I’m waiting for the right stuff to come and have some thing I need to get done and this stuff is thick and tacky and for what it’s used for I thought maybe it could get me by?

I used to build race engines and people were always asking what oil to use. Any is better than none but assembly line is pretty speedy for way oil. If you can pick up some non-detergent 30wt it will probably do just fine.

Assy lube is basically molybdenum disulfide with a heap of zinc added. It won't hurt your ways, but a quart of modern detergent motor oil would be cheaper. Detergent is okay as long as you wipe everything down when you're ready to use way oil.

I would agree with the previous posters; 30 wt oil is just fine, or compressor oil, or turbine oil.

Do not use assembly lube! The last thing you want on your ways is something that is "tacky". The metal particles will be captured in the lube and then start grinding on your ways.

JMHO

-Ron

I agree, just ordinary oil SAE 30 or 20 will be just fine avoid detergent oils and anything sticky. I use sae 30 oil for general oiling and chain saw bar oil onchange gears, tends to not fling off. and Lanox for storage protection.

I used to build race engines and people were always asking what oil to use. Any is better than none but assembly line is pretty speedy for way oil. If you can pick up some non-detergent 30wt it will probably do just fine.
I also use non-detergent 30wt oil mixed with a Slick50. I didn't buy Slick50 for that purpose, but since I have some left in my garage I might as well use it.

Tha is guys I will take all talks advice and get some 20 or 30w to hold me over. And yes the assembly lube was/is way to tacky and I know for sure bc I tried it and it sucks. Everything Thing and I mean EVERYTHING stuck to it and was a pain to get all of it off. It’s kinda like one of those school projects some of us did in early school years where you put Elmer’s glue down and then sprinkle glitter or what not on there and it sticks.

Back