Engine Hoist/Lift Modification

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sanddan inspired me to modify my engine hoist as I needed the same leveling mechanism to install the differential in my 85 Corvette not unlike his need for the transmission in his. Here is a link to his mod if you'd like to check it out. Thank you Dan.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/another-modification-to-the-engine-hoist.48117/

I added a little more complexity in mine for making lift arm adjustments and making the end mount modular for any future projects. I had this modification need for other projects already. Take note, as I am currently working on my Corvette at this time and I only did the build and will paint it later. I am really happy how it turned out. Here are the photos of my contraption, enjoy.

85 Vette Diff Install 01.JPG 85 Vette Diff Install 02.JPG 85 Vette Diff Install 03.JPG 85 Vette Diff Install 04.JPG 85 Vette Diff Install 05.JPG 85 Vette Diff Install 06.JPG Lift Mechanism 01.JPG Lift Mechanism 02.JPG Lift Mechanism 03.JPG

That's definitely cheating. You're supposed to have the car jacked up 2 ft, so you can just barely get the diff under the vehicle, slide it roughly into position, struggle lifting it onto a transmission jack, then keep it balanced on the jack with one hand while jacking it up with the other.

That's definitely cheating. You're supposed to have the car jacked up 2 ft, so you can just barely get the diff under the vehicle, slide it roughly into position, struggle lifting it onto a transmission jack, then keep it balanced on the jack with one hand while jacking it up with the other.
Yup - that's the way us REAL men do it! :immersed: (Randy, that's quite the modification. I would try it on mine but then I'd just have to go buy a Corvette to try it out on!)

Yup - that's the way us REAL men do it! :immersed: (Randy, that's quite the modification. I would try it on mine but then I'd just have to go buy a Corvette to try it out on!)

Sorry guys, not a REAL man here, just a smart one. At my age there is no more laying on my back and doing things the hard way, already did enough of that. And yes, given the choice I will cheat every time. ;)

So, what's stopping ya Mike?

Randy, I'd love to have a "Vette. Just can't afford it. I had 2 XKEs when I was younger. One ('66 roadster) that I tweeked from the ground up, including candy red paint and every engine mod I knew how to do.
Now I gotta get my kicks on a Ducati Multistrada.

Real men will crawl under the the vehicle, roll the transmission on their chest and push it up into position. The trick is freeing up one hand to start the bolts. It helps to get one knee under the transmission to help hold it in position.

Did that on '58 Buick RoadMaster when I had more guts than brains and more brains than money.

Real men will crawl under the the vehicle, roll the transmission on their chest and push it up into position. The trick is freeing up one hand to start the bolts. It helps to get one knee under the transmission to help hold it in position.
Been there, done that. :grin:

Making it more useful , why just let it sit in the corner . I enjoy using my tools if there's more ways to get more out of it I'm in.

Back