Engine Hoist modification.

Another great modification that some do is to mount a winch on the arm to also be able to use it like a small crane.

Another great modification that some do is to mount a winch on the arm to also be able to use it like a small crane.
The problem with that is the relatively small base is unstable. In order to stabilize the hoist, you would have to add a lot of weight to the base or add outriggers either of which would compromise the portability.

I believe that Franko made a modification to increase the stability.https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/potd-project-of-the-day-what-did-you-do-in-your-shop-today.14637/page-159#post-337555

The problem with that is the relatively small base is unstable. In order to stabilize the hoist, you would have to add a lot of weight to the base or add outriggers either of which would compromise the portability.

I believe that Franko made a modification to increase the stability.https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/potd-project-of-the-day-what-did-you-do-in-your-shop-today.14637/page-159#post-337555
Yeah, down at the auction in AL there was a twin to this one, they had (3) 10"DIA, 6" thk pcs stacked on the back.

I plan on keeping loads on it under 400#. Right now the for the 24x36" surface plates which are 340#.
Then after I get done with my surface plate adventure I'll probably be using it for lifting chucks and vises is all. Maybe the lawn tractors(Famous Last Words)
I don't much care for how it is bolted together. There is not a single washer on it.

In yesterday's episode of 'Repair your POJ engine hoist & make it better than it was' ...
I decided to put in a 1/2" hole on the main boom and (3) in the extension. (pictures to follow later.)
Make it like how they are design presently.
Positive pin engagement instead of the 1/2" bolt clamping down thru a welded nut on top - which just doesn't do it for me.
Added (3) holes to the extension spaced @ ~12".
My Better Half noticed something while we were drilling out the holes.
The main upright is bolted to the base with two 1/2" bolts (with no washers of course).
After drilling out a set she commented she thought she saw the upright moving around at the base.
Sure enough, it is. And the bolts are not long enough to add washers to them...
Gotta start making up a list for the store.
This bloody lift is going to be worth a fortune in time & parts when it's finished. :cool 2:

Scary how around here we have the same ideas...
And here are the donors for that idea.
The black electric one in the upper right is a Reese trailer ball mount winch which I picked up non-functioning and never got fixed.
The manual in the upper left is the old boat trailer winch off of our ol' 19'er.
I'm thinking of taking the wire rope out of the Reese and putting it on the trailer winch.

And of course I've got a BA replacement on the boat trailer which is sitting away unused in a corner of the driveway. hmmmm....
Really need to scrap the boat. :concerned:

The HF 440# (p/n 40765 possibly), I would like to take apart and see if it can be fixed. (wanna start a betting pool on that idea?)

0702201008a__R.jpg

OK, so I've got the hook assembly all done up and ready to go.
What do y'all think?
0702201755d__R.jpg
Some chain link left over from a swag lamp, an 'S' hook from an old bungee cord, a swivel hook off of one of the dog's leashes, and a genuine Acco hook, with a bent link.
That oughta do it for 340# I think... :grin:
-=-=-=-
Back to being serious now.
I was rummaging through the storage trailer for material and had to move the milk crate holding all of my hitch mounts when an idea stuck me.
Stealing @Jake2465's idea from above and dumbing it down quite a bit to 600lbs, it fits pretty well.
Ended up not cutting the extension at all except to add the 5/8" hole for the hitch mount.
Still need to add a spacer block/plate on the top of it to take up the empty area on top of the 2", but it's looking good.
Machined out a 3/4" heavy washer to allow the 5/16" chain to pass through, anchored on a grade 5 bolt with grade 5 washers and jam nutted and the outcome is a real kludgy swivel. Attached a 3/8" hook and the straps fit fairly well. Need to test them out on something safely.

A neighbor stopped by yesterday to inquire as to what the heck I was up to.
Offered up two 9' yellow straps seen in the picts below. These feel a _bit_ better than the purple HF's - which have held up well I have to say.
The yellows are actually 'Made in the U.S.A.' - can you believe it?!

5000# mount with 600# tongue rating.
0702201344a__R.jpgHave to get a better pict tomorrow.

0702201146__R1.jpg...0702201146b__R1.jpg

Here's one of the other mounts I had in the crate. Tried it out for Grins.
0701201859__R1.jpg

The holes added yesterday.
0702201346_HDR__R.jpg

Added washers on both side of the rod to keep it from sliding back and forth so much.
0630201837__R.jpg

Here's a pict of what the PO had in it when I got it.
Kind of scary.
0702201537__R.jpg

Now yer cookin' with gas Dan. I likey that trailer hitch idea.

Final day...
Went to pick up some grade 5 bolts for the hoist, however the ol' Cadillac decided it was time to 'check out' on us. Overheated and went nova.
After we finally got home on the back of a roll-off we went back out to complete the original tasks.

First off what do y'all think of this latest idea?
The yellow straps didn't fit completely on the 3/8" hook so I came up with a Plan 'B'.
5/16" chain in a leftover hunk of radiator hose to protect the straps? Max to lift is ~350#.
0703201919a__R.jpg......0703201915c__R.jpg.....0703201916a__R.jpg

Bolt replacement - with WASHERS!!!
See the puddle? When I removed the bolt from the upright a ton of water came out...
I suppose since it will be living outside I'd better drill some weep holes in it.
0703202014__R.jpg oh, and I put a grip on the handle.

And just when you think you finished, you notice this... Missing nut.
0703201938__R.jpg

All that is left to do is the replace the mismatched front casters. I picked up two 4" ones from HF but they are only rated at 330#/ea so once I find a welder to mount them the hoist will be limited to ~600#

Thanks for looking through this kludge!

Back