Engineers Black Book Handy Information

Exactly my thoughts, Will. I'm pretty close to picking up the 29th or 30th MH since it supposedly has much more metric info now...but I don't really need the rest. Not now and I already have a 16th edition. I'm not going CNC anytime either. Something small like that Fastener Black Book would be sweet.

16th is 1960s? Not really surprised that it doesn't have a lot of metric, I wouldn't expect you to see much until the mid-late 1970s.

I have a 14th ed which was printed in 1953, and a 24th printed in 1988. My 14th has very little metric info, mostly just a few pages describing the metric system and some conversion formulas. It does have a bunch of stuff on blacksmithing and forging that has been removed from more recent editions.

My 24th looks to have an equal amount of info on metric fasteners to what it has for standard so you don't have to go all the way to the current editions to find metric.

I am curious about the fastener book though if anyone gets it. I have the USA EBB and have found it handy, but didn't get the other.

:big grin: I emailed them a few hours ago. Forgot about it. I had asked about Metric max, min diameters and max, min pitch diameters.
Just got a reply.

"Our Fastener Black Book does list this Metric Fine/Coarse Major/Minor information in part, however, our new Engineers Black Book - 3rd Edition INCH has a must more extensive list of this exact information you are after."

From what I've read around the web they don't list metric max & min pitch diameters and no tolerance ranges. Methinks I'll pick up a more recent MH in large print. :encourage:

Wow, I just got a reply from them.... at 9:30pm. :eagerness:

They told me yes but I was skeptical. Stupid me never checked the website, you can actually preview all the pages of the book. Yup no tolerance ranges, they just list "basic" diameters. I looked through all the books & there's not a whole lot of combined information that would be worth it to me for buying one of them. Oh well, i guess I'll print out my own chart from the MH pdf & laminate it to make a quick reference sheet.

Thanks Aaron. Wish someone did a more detailed writeup on what's in or out of each edition. There's one guy who lists the tab indexes and blacksmith and forging info per edition but that's it. Guess I gotta buy the rest and do that as a service to the world. :)

Last edited:
just to verify,
the fastener black book 1st edition DOES have ISO/metric pitch diameter listed

just to verify,
the fastener black book 1st edition DOES have ISO/metric pitch diameter listed

Thanks for confirming Mike but when I looked at the preview pages it looks like it only shows a nominal for pitch diameter, listed as "basic" in the book, and not the range of tolerance?

Back