Engineers Black Book Handy Information

This is fantastic,I been looking at the other book but its just price out of my budget since I have to get the one with larger print.
But,tomh said to "get the right book"are there others that look the same but not?Went shopping over on the auction site found some for 28.00 ship but the ads says USA edition but also says import.Guessing all books not the same,is there a larger version----kroll

Last edited:
Kroll
There is 3 books I know of.

#1 Engineers black book
#2 Engineers fastener book
#3 Engineers electrical book

The one you want is Enco number 308-0511
If you are not in a hurry wait till enco has the 20% + FS .

I have always used the Machinery's Handbook or the MH Pocket Companion, but have always been hampered by the fact that the pages are so easily damaged. I think that the Black Book might be the way to go for a handy reference right by my machines. The good old MH can stay on the bookshelf next to the computer where it often comes in handy and its pages will not be damaged or soiled so easily. Now I just have to wait for a coupon code that I can make use of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guy,I do get coupon codes from Enco so I think I will take tomh advice and just wait.Now that I know about that book and it sure fits what I been looking for.Wish they made a larger version.I do want to get the book that Terry talking about one day.Thank you tomh for starting this post---kroll

Last edited:
An old thread, but not worth creating my own thread.

I purchased the book this week. I agree with earlier posts, a very useful collection of information. Nice coating on the pages. My book was not made well, the holes for the binding were not cleanly punched, many stuck together. I had to spend a lot of time carefully getting the pages separated so they did not tear.

I do not yet have a Machinerys Handbook, but the Engineers Black Book looks to contain most of the information I need to look up. The section on carbide inserts is very comprehensive.

If you purchase it from their website I bet they replace it.I did contact them asking for a book with larger print they told me next yr(which was last yr) but haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for bumping this up. Looks very handy, so I just ordered one that my wife or one of the kids can give me for Christmas.

After purchasing this book go to their web site.

Do a review and enter the code in the back of the book and they will send you a free wall chart:encourage:

I did a review on their web site. I received the drill and tapping chart yesterday. This is useful, now I just need to be able to find a wall with space to hang this.........

That one is on my list, I find the regular machinery book(sorry the actual name escapes me right now) to be too much information.:+1:

Sometimes, and sometimes its not enough, but my copy of Machinery's Handbook is circa WW2. I have a three ring binder in my shop I call "The Pink Book" (because its pink) that holds printed out common tables and charts I use all the time.

I think the Black Book might be quite useful to me. It would allow me to leave The Pink Book on the bench it was originally created for. My bait making bench where I mix plastics, resin, foams, and colorants. The back half of The Pink Book has all my recipes. The front has materials, drill, tap, thickness, hardness, etc tables.

An old thread, but not worth creating my own thread.

I purchased the book this week. I agree with earlier posts, a very useful collection of information. Nice coating on the pages. My book was not made well, the holes for the binding were not cleanly punched, many stuck together. I had to spend a lot of time carefully getting the pages separated so they did not tear.

I do not yet have a Machinerys Handbook, but the Engineers Black Book looks to contain most of the information I need to look up. The section on carbide inserts is very comprehensive.

Sounds like you got one of those Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend books. Mine was very well finished.

I look at this as complementary to the Machinery's Handbook. This book has the info in a nice clean format, but it is mostly numbers, Machinery's gets much deeper into the details which is good if you are looking for how / why, but that makes it harder to find that exact piece of info you are after when you just need to check the right size drill for tapping a hole.

I just wish they offered a slightly larger version with larger print.

I did a review on their web site. I received the drill and tapping chart yesterday. This is useful, now I just need to be able to find a wall with space to hang this.........

Thanks for bringing this back up, I had missed that offer in the back of the book. Thanks to Tomh also for mentioning that in the first place.

Sometimes, and sometimes its not enough, but my copy of Machinery's Handbook is circa WW2. I have a three ring binder in my shop I call "The Pink Book" (because its pink) that holds printed out common tables and charts I use all the time.

I think the Black Book might be quite useful to me. It would allow me to leave The Pink Book on the bench it was originally created for. My bait making bench where I mix plastics, resin, foams, and colorants. The back half of The Pink Book has all my recipes. The front has materials, drill, tap, thickness, hardness, etc tables.

Yes, I think you could replace the pink book with this one.

Back