Engraver Power Hone - or carbide tool sharpening device

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
I gotta be honest, I couldn't figure out a better place to post this project. I've been making all the tools I need to try to learn how to engrave metal. I have everything done to the point that I may actually be able to put some deep scratches in steel soon. The last item I finished is referred to as a "power hone" but is actually more like a 6" record player with a diamond blade on top. The basic idea is that you use fixtures to hold carbide blanks at the proper angles to create graver bits. After using it, I started seeing where it could be useful for carbide lathe tools too.

In a nutshell, I used a sewing machine motor I got off Ebay a long time ago for about $12. I looked at the motor speed and the size of the motor pulley and calculated the diameter of my platen pulley to give me a max RPM of 1000. I have bearings above and below the platen pulley for the shaft to ride in. all the materials were made from metal laying round the shop. The 3 diamond discs also come from Ebay. I got a 240 grit, 600, and 3000 for about $12 shipped from China.

The speed control is a $19 Harbor freight router speed control that I disassembled and remounted in the end plate of the unit. The steel box is just 20 gauge sheet metal.

THe last photo is just a prop to show how the fixtures hold the carbide at the necessary angle. The fixture lets you grind 3 sides of the tip without removing the carbide tool.

20180208_121736.jpg

20180208_123046.jpg

20180208_123107.jpg

20180208_122504.jpg

Very nice job, Holescreek! I bet that puts a nice edge on your gravers.

I like it very much.

I like your grinder! You can sometimes find an entire sewing machine at Goodwill or similar stores for as low as $25 - $2 less than the listed motor + shipping price in the ebay ad. Garage sales are another source.

Alternatively, if you can score a ceiling fan and extract the motor, you can mount the grinding wheel directly to it with a suitable arbor (quick lathe project). Speeds range from about 100 to 400 RPM.
kHPIM3930.jpgkHPIM4230.jpg

I like that! I might look at making one like that with a 1 1/4" adapter for diamond grinding wheels.

Holescreek,
Thank you for the motor source.
I may still go that direction.
What is the rpm?

Now I know what I can possibly do with those two ceiling fans I've been hoarding in the shed. :grin:
Blades sagged and they were tossed.
There's also two old time sewing machines out there. . .

(just commented to Honey about this idea, and the reply was 'hmmmm...'. I don't think she's impressed with my idea.)

(hijacking the thread...)
I've been chewing on this all day. Bought the discs months ago when I was going to make a scraper.
So if you're using a ceiling fan motor you get the (3) speeds, L,M,H - is there any loss of torque?

Holescreek,
Thank you for the motor source.
I may still go that direction.
What is the rpm?

The sewing machine motor looks like it's marked 7000 rpm in the photo. I used pulleys to reduce the rpm to 1000 max.

Back