Engraver Power Hone - or carbide tool sharpening device

So if you're using a ceiling fan motor you get the (3) speeds, L,M,H - is there any loss of torque?
I just checked my homebrew grinder (shown in post #5) and a second similar one I'd made for my shop in Oregon. Both are easy to stall by just grabbing the edges of the disk. This is true for all speeds. Not really an issue when grinding on a disk that small (~5" diameter), as I've mainly used the grinders for shaping glass. Might possibly be more of a problem when grinding tool bits.

Recall that a ceiling fan comes up to speed pretty slowly from a dead stop. They aren't very powerful.

is there any loss of torque?
Torque is not a big issue with grinding scraper blades, a 20 watt motor is likely overkill, but if the grinder is going to be multi purpose, and especially if it is dialed down from the highest motor speed, or has an inefficient drive train, then a bigger motor will likely be needed.

Here's what I'm thinking. I've got a couple of these 'grinders' floating around and they have bearings and not bushings.
I've had a dream of doing up a SloMo™ for years.
I'm thinking that I can even make them up for 'wet' use since I can mount a motor well away from the wheels.
Only problem might be keeping the bearings dry.
I was considering using a treadmill motor for the one that would use stone wheels and now I'm wondering if I can get by with a ceiling fan motor for the diamond wheels and discs.
I have a set of discs similar to those above plus this 6" wheel.
I'm not even sure yet what speed it should run at.
Diamond_Wheel_001.jpg

0120201616__R.jpg...0120201616b__R.jpg...0120201616a__R.jpg...

My ceiling fan grinders are both wet grinders. You can see from the second photo in my earlier post that there's a yellow tray (parts sorting tray from HF) below the wheel. There's a cut down pill bottle glued on and extending upward about an inch above the tray, A second pill bottle is attached to the spindle below the disk. It's a bit larger than the other pill bottle and extends downward almost to the tray. These two sleeves prevent water from dripping down into the motor bearings.

I've rigged up a small reservoir and drip tube that wets the disk. There's a catch bucket below the spout of the tray. If you need, I can take some more photos to show details of the arrangement.

Back