Engraving degree indicator on compound

TX COWDOC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
(Photo Credit to DarkZero's 1233 Thread)

Picture captures the detail necessary to frame my question. Any advice on engraving the degree marks on the compound rather than the ribbon that is attached at the factory? Mine is not snug fitting and bothers me. Thank you -

View attachment 159723

The engraving would best be done with a rotary table. Set the compound at the center of the rotary table and make your marks. It could bve done on the lathe if you jave a means of making 1º movements and the lathe is large enought to swing the plate. There are a number of You Tube videos of people making DIY indexing systems for their lathes.

As far as the actual engraving goe, there are several ways to accomplish that. Small carbide engraving cutture are available with fiffern included angles. You could use a single point dragged across the surface to cut the marks. What I would probably do is use a laser to etch a resist and use electrochemical etching to create the scale. The advantage of this is that the numbers can be created at the same time.
Lacking the CNC laser, the lines could be scribed in the resist and etched and the numbers stamped.

Back