Enquiring Minds Need to Know

projectnut

Registered
Registered
How many chucks can a lathe chuck chuck, if a lathe chuck could chuck chucks?

The obvious answer is:

A lathe chuck would chuck as many chucks as a lathe chuck could chuck if a lathe chuck could chuck chucks!

Today I was able to chuck 3 chucks, but have no idea wat the maximum chuckage is.
IMG_0848.JPG

Why? Honestly curious.

An interesting question. I believe that the answer is indeterminate. It depends on the lathe and the chucks on hand. For my G0602, I could mount a total of eight chucks. My 6" four jaw, the 5" three jaw, followed by the a 4" tyhree jaw and a 4" four jaw, then three drill chucks. That gives me about 1/2" of room before the tailstock.
Chuck Stack .JPG

"maximum chuckage" he he he.....

The maximum I could see is one lathe chuck holding one drill chuck. I do this for very small diameter drill bits.

Otherwise, the sky's the limit.

I seen a lathe chuck a chuck. It put a ding in the bed. Now I know to be careful running a threaded on chuck in reverse. The moral of the story is, if you want to see how far your lathe can chuck a chuck, stand way back, or the last thing you see, may be the chucked chuck, heading your way. Or is it called a chucking chuck, since it is still in motion at that point?

An interesting question. I believe that the answer is indeterminate. It depends on the lathe and the chucks on hand. For my G0602, I could mount a total of eight chucks. My 6" four jaw, the 5" three jaw, followed by the a 4" tyhree jaw and a 4" four jaw, then three drill chucks. That gives me about 1/2" of room before the tailstock.
View attachment 303690

I'd like to see that mounted on the spindle.

Back