Enquiring Minds Need to Know

Ohhhhh, I want to post here, bad. But my mind isn't quick enough to come up with a suitable remark. I have no idea, really, it would be a function of bed length as much as anything. But I don't have chuckable mounts for the many chucks on hand. Although I have mounted two face to face to make a backing plate. I wouldn't want to make any important cuts on such an extension. But a beautiful concept.

I had no intention of trying to turn anything when mounting multiple chucks to the spindle. Actually I was cleaning the 10" 4 jaw chuck when I thought it might be easier to polish when attached to the spindle. It doesn't have a backplate to fit that lathe so I made a threaded mount and chucked it into an 8" 4 jaw chuck.

I mounted the 10" chuck and spun it at about 40 rpm just to clean off many years of crud before mounting it to a rotary table. I'm not sure of the weight capacity of the spindle bearings, but the 8" chuck weighs about 50 lbs., the 10 " one is a little over 60 lbs., and the collet chuck is about 10 lbs. I don't think I'd like to see the results of attempting to spin the 120 lb. stack

Before I got my 5C chuck, I would mount a Tormach ER20 collet chuck in the four jaw to be able to work on small diameters. I can also use my TTS mounted keyless chuck in the four jaw to turn stock as small as .008" if I were crazy enough to want to do so.

An interesting question. I believe that the answer is indeterminate. It depends on the lathe and the chucks on hand. For my G0602, I could mount a total of eight chucks. My 6" four jaw, the 5" three jaw, followed by the a 4" tyhree jaw and a 4" four jaw, then three drill chucks. That gives me about 1/2" of room before the tailstock.
1570888790307.png

Who's getting married?

Tom

Back