Equifax Debackle...are you affected ???

Even if you are possibly in the affected group, what are you going to do? The offer of 1 year free monitoring, is a joke. How much of the stolen data will expire, or be of no use to anyone after a year? The thieves could just sit on the info, and then in two years put it to use to steal money.

Our whole financial system is setup to welcome thieves. Accounts, especially credit, should require much more positive ID to open. And second, the way bank transactions needs to change.

all someone needs to get your money, is the bank routing numbers, and account number (the numbers on the bottom of your checks). Then they (Through a place that has access to the financial system) can tell your bank to transfer the money to them. I think that is backwards, it should be me telling the bank to give them, the money.

I am not sure if this is the answer...

I had frozen my credit last year... so hopefully that would help a little.

I have been thinking about changing banks (currently at one of the 4 mega's, no names)...
Seems to me if I were to get new bank accounts, new CC's (clear titles on house and cars)...
And I could change the PO Box #'s I get mail at... the guys at the local UPS store would accommodate me on this.
Then the information in the credit files would be more or less useless... :)
Other than name, SS number, DOB, DL#, etc.
Oh, and as I understand it... one 'can' request a replacement SS number... difficult... however this credit mess may well be a good reason.

Changing everything is probably gonna cause a hit to my FICA score... however I guess that is better than loosing a significant amount of assets.

Our Data was compromised. Our credit cards get compromised on regular basis. No loss to us but a real pain in butt. We have now frozen both of our credit history but it cost to do it. We now check credit card accts daily. Luckily the place where we keep most of our funds is very vigilant and calls us if anything looks suspect.

Makes me miss the days when there was no credit. We had to pay cash or cheque. If you didn't have the funds you saved up until you did.

Last edited:
Last night I learned about the Equifax security breech and wanted to see if people here were aware.
Evidently, Equifax (one of the big 3 credit bureaus) was hacked. The hackers got the personal info of over 143 million Americans up to and including Social Security numbers, addresses, birthdays, credit card numbers, and credit history.
From what I researched, the waited 6 weeks after they found the breech before announcing it. The timeline went something like this:
Hacked in May, found out in July, and announced in September. In the time between finding out and announcing it, 3 of the top Execs (including the CFO) sold over $2 million in stock and someone (undisclosed) short sold a huge number of shares resulting in a $24 million gain. The execs claimed no knowledge of the hack when they sold their stocks...Oh really !!!
Here's links to a couple YouTube videos describing the whole thing better. Warning !!! the language on the second is on the rough side.
It's called insider trading and they are guilty as sin. But probably nothing will come of it. The richest and powerful avoid getting held responsible. I can't imagine they had no knowledge. I'm sure they were part of the decision making on how to handle it. Useless turds.

Makes one wonder whether they sold the info but claimed it was hacked. Once we give out our info anything can happen to it and it is no longer ours. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The likelihood is that if you have ever applied for or had credit or a bank account, your information was stolen in the hack. I've already frozen my and my wife's credit (for $60, which is in itself bogus). After this hack, every person with a credit score should be locking them down, and they should be screaming to their congressman to force the credit reporting companies to do it for free.

Afraid It's going to get way worse before it gets any better, after we got sold out to china.

Back