ER 32 Collet Blocks

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had ordered the square and hexagon ER 32 collet blocks from LMS, with my current run of somewhat poor shipping luck, I was expecting 2 weeks. I already have the collet blocks in 5C, so I was not being held up on jobs. So 5 days after I ordered it, it arrived. I was surprise. They seem to be a quality piece with the HHIP logo, I was surprise by the heft, they weigh almost as much as the 5C blocks.

I much prefer the wrench/nut tightening vs the 5C ring that needed me to remove the collet block to change out work pieces. Hopefully they will work out, I’ve use the 5C versions quite a bit.

Last edited:

Old Mud

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I had ordered the square and hexagon ER 32 collet blocks from LMS, with my current run of somewhat poor shipping luck, I was expecting 2 weeks. I already have the collet blocks in 5C, so I was not being held up on jobs. So 5 days after I ordered it, it arrived. I was surprise. They seem to be a quality piece with the HHIP logo, I was surprise by the heft, they weigh almost as much as the 5C blocks.

I much prefer the wrench/nut tightening vs the 5C ring that needed me to remove the collet block to change out work pieces. Hopefully they will work out, I’ve use the 5C versions quite a bit.

Do those blocks lay flat in all positions without interference from the rings ?

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Do those blocks lay flat in all positions without interference from the rings ?

No, the ER 32 collet nut is bigger than diameter that the body of the block. The nuts are about 2” in diameter and the bodies are about 1-5/8” side to side. It shouldn’t be a problem for me, I want the nut to over hang so I can tighten it or loosen it, without removing the block from the mill vise.

6926DB9A-350D-474B-80EB-0BCA011CA410.jpeg

Old Mud

H-M Platinum Supporter
Ok thanks i guess that won't work like my 5C blocks.

Old Mud

H-M Platinum Supporter
I always use my collet blocks in the vise, so the back of the nut works very well as a stop. I remember wondering if not being able to lay them flat would be a disadvantage, but I've yet to find that the case.
I use my 5C collets with blocks on a flat angled bed to sharpen my end mills. Couldn't do that with my set up if the nuts or rings were bigger than the blocks.

Joe in Oz

Active User
Registered
Have a look at "my" ER collet blocks. They are 12 sided - so only one needed to cover 4 sided and hex blocks, The bodies are bigger than the nuts and can be stuck directly to a mag chuck or held in a vice by opposing flats as well as always sitting on a flat:
I just developed them, I'm not the manufacturer. They are really good quality and I no longer get any benefit from posting about them (I sold the rights to my toolmaker friend who manufactures and sells them).
http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=469 and http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=252

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Have a look at "my" ER collet blocks. They are 12 sided - so only one needed to cover 4 sided and hex blocks, The bodies are bigger than the nuts and can be stuck directly to a mag chuck or held in a vice by opposing flats as well as always sitting on a flat:
I just developed them, I'm not the manufacturer. They are really good quality and I no longer get any benefit from posting about them (I sold the rights to my toolmaker friend who manufactures and sells them).
http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=469 and http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=252
Hmmm. I like. I was thinking of purchasing the LMS ones, but this one looks more versatile. I don't see a tolerance spec listed. The LMS ones are 0.0005".

Joe in Oz

Active User
Registered
Sorry, I can't tell you.... I CAN tell you they were made entirely in one fixture on a live spindle VMS, so they are a good as the machine - and that was big and new. I've seen photos of it.
OTOH, I managed to get the prototype I made by hand to be accurate within a few microns by lapping two of the 12 sides after I had ground all 12.
So if you have the means to measure to 0.0005, the you probably have the means to correct things beyond that precision....

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock