ER 32 Collet Blocks

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had ordered the square and hexagon ER 32 collet blocks from LMS, with my current run of somewhat poor shipping luck, I was expecting 2 weeks. I already have the collet blocks in 5C, so I was not being held up on jobs. So 5 days after I ordered it, it arrived. I was surprise. They seem to be a quality piece with the HHIP logo, I was surprise by the heft, they weigh almost as much as the 5C blocks.

I much prefer the wrench/nut tightening vs the 5C ring that needed me to remove the collet block to change out work pieces. Hopefully they will work out, I’ve use the 5C versions quite a bit.

Last edited:
I had ordered the square and hexagon ER 32 collet blocks from LMS, with my current run of somewhat poor shipping luck, I was expecting 2 weeks. I already have the collet blocks in 5C, so I was not being held up on jobs. So 5 days after I ordered it, it arrived. I was surprise. They seem to be a quality piece with the HHIP logo, I was surprise by the heft, they weigh almost as much as the 5C blocks.

I much prefer the wrench/nut tightening vs the 5C ring that needed me to remove the collet block to change out work pieces. Hopefully they will work out, I’ve use the 5C versions quite a bit.

Do those blocks lay flat in all positions without interference from the rings ?

Do those blocks lay flat in all positions without interference from the rings ?

No, the ER 32 collet nut is bigger than diameter that the body of the block. The nuts are about 2” in diameter and the bodies are about 1-5/8” side to side. It shouldn’t be a problem for me, I want the nut to over hang so I can tighten it or loosen it, without removing the block from the mill vise.

6926DB9A-350D-474B-80EB-0BCA011CA410.jpeg

Ok thanks i guess that won't work like my 5C blocks.

I always use my collet blocks in the vise, so the back of the nut works very well as a stop. I remember wondering if not being able to lay them flat would be a disadvantage, but I've yet to find that the case.

I always use my collet blocks in the vise, so the back of the nut works very well as a stop. I remember wondering if not being able to lay them flat would be a disadvantage, but I've yet to find that the case.
I use my 5C collets with blocks on a flat angled bed to sharpen my end mills. Couldn't do that with my set up if the nuts or rings were bigger than the blocks.

Have a look at "my" ER collet blocks. They are 12 sided - so only one needed to cover 4 sided and hex blocks, The bodies are bigger than the nuts and can be stuck directly to a mag chuck or held in a vice by opposing flats as well as always sitting on a flat:
I just developed them, I'm not the manufacturer. They are really good quality and I no longer get any benefit from posting about them (I sold the rights to my toolmaker friend who manufactures and sells them).
http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=469 and http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=252

Have a look at "my" ER collet blocks. They are 12 sided - so only one needed to cover 4 sided and hex blocks, The bodies are bigger than the nuts and can be stuck directly to a mag chuck or held in a vice by opposing flats as well as always sitting on a flat:
I just developed them, I'm not the manufacturer. They are really good quality and I no longer get any benefit from posting about them (I sold the rights to my toolmaker friend who manufactures and sells them).
http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=469 and http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=252

Hmmm. I like. I was thinking of purchasing the LMS ones, but this one looks more versatile. I don't see a tolerance spec listed. The LMS ones are 0.0005".

Sorry, I can't tell you.... I CAN tell you they were made entirely in one fixture on a live spindle VMS, so they are a good as the machine - and that was big and new. I've seen photos of it.
OTOH, I managed to get the prototype I made by hand to be accurate within a few microns by lapping two of the 12 sides after I had ground all 12.
So if you have the means to measure to 0.0005, the you probably have the means to correct things beyond that precision....

Back