ER-32 Collet Chuck Wanted for MicroMark 7X16 Mini Lathe

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As the title suggests, I'm looking at getting a ER-32 collet chuck for my Micro Mark 7X16 mini lathe.

I was planning on getting this from Little Machine Shop since I know they sell decent quality and I know it would fit. This is the one I was thinking about. However, just as I was about to place the order, they had to shutdown due to COVID-19.

So, can any suggest where else I could get one? I see a bunch of these for sale on eBay listed as 80 mm. Would these work? Good quality?

Also, what set of collets should I get?

I have one from Beall and it works well with my lathe.

You can make one. That's what I did. Halligan142 on you tube has a series of videos on how to make one. Beall Tool Company makes them. http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php
I have one from Beall and it works well with my lathe.
I believe the Beall chucks require a threaded spindle, which OP’s lathe doesn’t have.

devils4ever,
If you do get one similar to the LMS that you linked, I suggest that you make sure it has at least one hole on the perimeter for a tommy bar to assist in tightening and loosening the collet nut, similar to the one pictured here.
1586707336030.png
Three equally spaced holes around the rim are even more convenient, but one will suffice. The LMS chuck may have one, but it’s not obvious in their web photo.

Tom

I believe the Beall chucks require a threaded spindle, which OP’s lathe doesn’t have.

devils4ever,
If you do get one similar to the LMS that you linked, I suggest that you make sure it has at least one hole on the perimeter for a tommy bar to assist in tightening and loosening the collet nut, similar to the one pictured here.
View attachment 320651
Three equally spaced holes around the rim are even more convenient, but one will suffice. The LMS chuck may have one, but it’s not obvious in their web photo.

Tom
The LMS one has no holes for a Tommy bar. I drilled 3 holes in mine. It is a quality chuck that LMS sells.

Roy

Yeah, I'd prefer not making one. I'd rather just buy a decent one. I have enough projects!

Also, what set of collets should I get?

For work holding on the lathe, just get a cheap set of import collets. Good enough for lathe work. The mill is another story ... there, spend money on a good set from Techniks. Try not to mix collets between the lathe and mill. Save your accurate collets for the precision tool shanks of your milling cutters.

Eventually, I want to get a hex block and square block for the mill to use with the collets. I already have R8 collets for the end mills. Do I need both?

Only if you wish to use ER collets on the mill. Speaking for just myself, I feel ER collets are the best choice for a hobby mill. They are about the most accurate affordable option, in my opinion. A good ER chuck/nut/collet system will run very near the accuracy of your spindle and will damp vibration better than most other tool holders. This leads to better accuracy, finishes and tool life. And that longer tool life can significantly reduce costs over time.

There are R8 collets (Hardinge, Crawford, Lydex) that can match an ER collet for accuracy but they are expensive, and they don't dampen vibration as well. Import R8 collets will not come close to a good R8 or ER set up. I have and like Crawford R8 collets and they're really accurate but I still prefer an ER set up. Again, that's just me.

As for separate collet sets for the lathe and mill, it is my feeling that collets retain their accuracy best when clamping near their nominal range. If we stretch them out or over-collapse them, which happens when working on lathe work pieces, they may lose some of their accuracy. For this reason, I have separate sets and use the cheap ones on the lathe.

Reactions: tjb
mikey: I'm a little confused. How would an ER-32 collet attach to my PM25 mill? It would have to be a R8 shank, correct?

Back