ER-32 Collet Chuck Wanted for MicroMark 7X16 Mini Lathe

Have you been satisfied with the Beall chuck? I just ordered one along with some Techniks collets.

Yes, I like them. I actually have 3, one for the Sherline lathe and mill, and 2 for my bigger lathe (ER32 and ER50).

The smoke might have been the cutting fluid. I'm not sure. The drills are good quality, HSS, and USA made that I've had for decades, but looking at some of them they need to be sharpened or replaced. However, I used the same ones on the first hole without issue.

Maybe, a carbide end mill will do the job?

Carbide end mill or drill will do it.

Roy

I bought and used a carbide 23/64" end mill on the collet chuck to finish/fix those last two holes that gave me trouble. It cut through like butter! Plus, I get flat bottomed holes.

I guess I need to replace or sharpen my drill bits. Looking at them more closely, I can see issues that I never noticed before. I ordered some replacements in the smaller sizes, but the larger ones are $$$. It's probably cheaper to buy a set! So, is it worth getting a sharpener? I tried doing it by hand it and didn't work out so well!

So far I have resisted the temptation to buy a Drill Doctor, I do okay sharpening my own bits although lately I've been thinking more and more about buying a DD due to my old age and worsening eye sight. from what I hear some really love their DD and some hate it , I tend to agree with those who think it's worth the cost and the time to learn how to do it properly so I guess one of these days I'll get one and find our for myself.

Yeah, the Drill Doctor does look interesting and a lot people either love it or hate it! It's priced right and takes little space unlike industrial machines. I notice from pictures that the grind seems a little rough and is not as polished as factory bits.

I could definitely save some $$$ by not buying new bits.

mikey loves it, so it makes me want to try it.

Yeah, the Drill Doctor does look interesting and a lot people either love it or hate it! It's priced right and takes little space unlike industrial machines. I notice from pictures that the grind seems a little rough and is not as polished as factory bits.

I could definitely save some $$$ by not buying new bits.

mikey loves it, so it makes me want to try it.

Before I bought a DD, I did everything by hand and I was fairly good at it. The problem for me was consistency (plus I'm getting older so seeing clearly is an issue) with smaller bits. It is critical for the geometry to be even on both sides and a machine does this more consistently, faster and easier than doing it freehand. A DD is not a high end drill sharpener but it does what I need it to do at a price that is not bad. Just understand that it is not a Darex or Cuttermaster grinder.

I have 2 drill doctors. When my eyesight started to get bad I stopped hand sharpening. I have great luck with the DD. My favorite is the old 500/750 pro classic, the green vertical one. When you first get it you may become discouraged but persistence pays. Like any machine tool you develop procedures to work with the machine that make the machine work at its best. I am still learning the 750X model. I still hand sharpen large drills and the drills my son breaks with his brute force approach to everything.

Roy

Yes, I like them. I actually have 3, one for the Sherline lathe and mill, and 2 for my bigger lathe (ER32 and ER50).
Just got the Beall chuck and checked the runout. At the collet bore it’s .0025. Adding the .0005 from the spindle, I get about .003 at the tool. Beall says this is within their tolerance, not mine. Did you find similar results with the chucks you bought?

Just got the Beall chuck and checked the runout. At the collet bore it’s .0025. Adding the .0005 from the spindle, I get about .003 at the tool. Beall says this is within their tolerance, not mine. Did you find similar results with the chucks you bought?

I measured mine when I first got it a couple of years ago so don't remember specifically. I can check mine and get back to you, but that sounds high.

Back