ER-32 Collet Chuck Wanted for MicroMark 7X16 Mini Lathe

On a lathe, as you've been advised, ER-40 might be even better if you can fit the chuck.

I don't see LMS selling a ER-40 chuck that fits my mini lathe. Am I missing it?

Will the chuck that Ken suggested fit your lathe?

There are more accessories for ER32 than the other sizes, so unless you strictly want to use the collets in the lathe, you may find yourself getting a set anyway. ER32 are also typically cheaper so having a set of ER32 up to 3/4" if you later find an ER40 you can just buy the larger sizes and use your ER32 for 3/4" and below.

I like LMS but their collet prices aren't that great. I bought Techniks ER32 collets from All Industrial for about the same price as LMS' unbranded collets. I found the same thing with Beall, whose unbranded collets are substantially more expensive. You can get sets of cheap unbranded ER32 collets on ebay for $3-5 / collet if on a tight budget.

LMS has MT to 3/4-16 adapters allowing the use of Taig and Sherline tooling. It is too bad they don't have a plate type adapter for the 7" and 8" mini-lathes allowing the use of accessories for 3/4", 1" and 1-1/2" threaded spindles which would open up a bunch of options for you.

I don't think the 4" ER-40 collet chuck will fit my mini lathe.
My bad. When you said you had found a 5C chuck to fit your mini lathe, my brain defaulted to 4”. I had a heck of a time finding a 4” 5C chuck and I paid through the nose for it. Most are 5” and larger. Where did you find a 3” (80mm) one?

If, as you say, you would have to make a backplate for the 3” 5C chuck, you might be able to make or buy a backplate to adapt the 4” ER40 to your 80mm spindle flange, if you wanted to go that route. LMS sells a 4” chuck to 3” spindle adapter that is compatible with your lathe.

Tom

It's strange that I can mount the ER-32 collet chuck and the 5C collet chuck on my mini lathe, but not the ER-40. I do plan on getting the square and hex blocks eventually.

LMS sells the 5" 5C collet chuck (#3047) with an adapter plate (#2347) to mount on it on my mini lathe.

So, the Techniks ER-32 collets are preferred over the LMS ones? No problem, I can get the chuck from LMS and the collets from All Industrial.

It's strange that I can mount the ER-32 collet chuck and the 5C collet chuck on my mini lathe, but not the ER-40. I do plan on getting the square and hex blocks eventually.

LMS sells the 5" 5C collet chuck (#3047) with an adapter plate (#2347) to mount on it on my mini lathe.

So, the Techniks ER-32 collets are preferred over the LMS ones? No problem, I can get the chuck from LMS and the collets from All Industrial.

Techniks assure a maximum of 0.002" run out on their precision collets, the unbranded LMS and Beall collets give no qualifier to their quality. I have some of the Beall collets and they are good, as I expect the LMS are as well but when Techniks stands behind their quality with stated standards why pay the same amount for collets with no stated standards. All Industrial is also in So Cal and offers free shipping on most items with a $75 order. Like LMS they have some cheaper brands and name brands. They also currently have a buy 3 get one free sale on ER collets right now. https://allindustrial.com/

Back