Er-40 Collet Blocks From Arc Euro Trade

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
As we all know, collet block come in really handy when we have to hold something in a vise for milling. The most common ones we see here in the US are the 5-C blocks but they have some limitations, namely the limited clamping range of a 5-C collet and the fact that there is a nut in the back of the block. An ER-40 collet block does not have these limitations but they aren't produced by any US maker I know of.

Of course, they have been out for some time in the UK and can be bought from Arc Euro Trade. In the not too distant past the shipping from the UK has often been more expensive than the parts themselves but just a few days ago I looked again and was surprised to see the shipping is now a lot more reasonable ... so I jumped.

I purchased the two-block set: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Fixtures/Stevensons-ER40-Collet-Blocks

2 each Ball Bearing ER-40 nuts: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...nners/ER-Collet-Nuts-with-Ball-Bearing-Type-B

And the forged steel wrench: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...es-and-Spanners/Forged-ER-Collet-Nut-Wrenches

Total cost with shipping via FedEx was 77.03 GBP or a bit over $100.00. I placed an order and got the package 4 days later! Not only is it more reasonable to ship, it gets here quick!

The collet blocks are nicely ground on all sides and in back so you can stand the block up in the vise to get your work vertical. Of course, the work can extend all the way through the collet.

The nuts fit well and lock down with surprisingly little force. The wrench is a very good fit on these nuts and has a padded handle. I like the wrench much better than my ETM wrench.

All in all, the pieces are well made. I suspect they are made in China but cannot find anything to suggest this in the packaging. Functionally, they are as good as the 5-C blocks I already have with the benefit of not having to be exactly on size like a 5-C requires. I know most of us already know about these blocks but I wanted to give you a mini-review and let you know that shipping seems to be a lot better now.

I also acquired the set from Eurotrade some time back and I am very happy with them. It would be nice to see a smaller set, maybe in ER15 or ER 20?

how does the pricing work for USA, VAT vs no VAT and shipping to USA.

I just made my own blocks in Hex and Square.
I had already made the one for my lathe some time back, so those were easy to make.
Used 2 1/4" Hex stock and 2 1/2" round and just milled the 4 flats after machining the collet taper in it.
Bought a set of 3 nuts off ebay for $15.
Good to go and they get used quit often in the mill.
Here is the square one I made. Don't have any pics of the Hex but it is same size.
upload_2016-3-3_8-45-35.png

Last edited:
I also got a set of the ER32 blocks. They are great! Well made and an essential too. Price was great and shipping was only two days to my location. I've bought several items from Eurotrade and have always been pleased with cost and shipping. One other tool I got was the Spin Indexer that does 5C and ER 32 collets all in one unit.

Wondering how the ball bearing nut works ? .

Wondering how the ball bearing nut works ? .

I just got an ER32 set with a ballbearing nut. The collet clips into the nut as normal, but the retention ring / taper is attached to the bearing, and is free to stay stationary as the nut rotates around it. So as you tighten up, there's less friction to overcome.

Back