Er-40 Collet Blocks From Arc Euro Trade

Oh, that's what I have also. Thanks for the info.

The ER collets are accurate and each collet takes a wider range of sizes than other choices, but the adapters do take up more headroom on the mill. They also take considerable torque to properly tighten them. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Bob, would you elaborate on the torque question please, what is 'considerable' torque and how is it a 'minus' for ER chucks?

Bob, would you elaborate on the torque question please, what is 'considerable' torque and how is it a 'minus' for ER chucks?

The amount of torque recommended for ER32 & ER40 is way higher than you might think. Without the tool holder mounted in a fixture, chances are you probably can't torque them to spec with a wrench in each hand unless you're a gorilla. I forget but it's something well over 100 ft/lbs. They sell torque wrenches specifically for this.

But that's recommended torque. For hobby use it's not necessary. With that said, I've never had an endmill slip on me. I'll crank down on the nut pretty hard when I feel I need to. But knowing the torque spec I know I won't damage it. I also use Lyndex bearing nuts on my ER40 chucks which make it easier to tighten & loosen. Usually the smaller diameters in the larger collet sizes are prone to slipping if not tightened down hard. So for my ER40, I don't go smaller than 3/8". For smaller I use ER16.

Teknics used list the torque specs on their website but they upgraded the website a while back I can't find it anymore.

EDIT: Here it is http://www.techniksusa.com/metal/torque_chart.htm

100 ft/lbs for ER32 & 130 ft/lbs for ER40

DZ, thanks for the link to Techiks chart.
I was already aware that the maximum torque for my ER 32 collet nut is 125 ft-lbs but have never had to go anywhere near that in practice.
My collets are only used for work holding on a lathe and the wrench supplied with the kit provides adequate leverage.

A Weldon style holder is used for end mills on my lathe. However it is easily conceivable that an ER nut would need to be torqued up tight to hold an end mill from slipping so I have taken note of the recommendations for posterity.

But knowing the torque spec I know I won't damage it. I also use Lyndex bearing nuts on my ER40 chucks which make it easier to tighten & loosen.

Ah!!! And now I understand why bearing nuts exist for this application. I was wondering about that.

I know this is an old post but I finally felt well enough to do something in the shop. So I got started and remembered that I had wanted to use an
ER -32 hex block for this particular project. Well as the tool I was making developed it became apparent that I would need an ER-40 to facilitate. So off to my favorite experienced masters for information. Several of you suggested Arc-Ero-Trade for obtaining ER blocks. I placed the order Monday. Fed-ex says they picked these up at Archdale street, Syston, Leicester, LE7 1NA, England, UK on May 11th, 2021. I have them in my hands this afternoon in SE Ohio WOW, how in the world !!
They were very reasonably priced after conversion to $US and they appear to be nicely done. I'll hopefully get back to the shop tomorrow to see how things go.
So definately agree Arc-Ero-Trade deserves a look see, especially if you need ER-blocks !

Also, don't forget to pick up an economy set of ER collets for workholding. I think it was Mikey who recommended it some time ago. I never got around to buying a set cause I don't use a collet chuck/ER collets for workholding all that much. I just had nominal sizes in ER-40 & ER-16 that I use for toolholding so a set of ER-40s was at the bottom of my list to buy.

Finally picked up a set last month. Found a 23 pc set for a great price & included a wood rack. Normally the empty slot would have bothered me but it worked out perfect since I now have a spot to store my oversized 1-1/8" ER-40 collet. Now I can save my better Techniks collets for toolholding only.

20210414_154503.jpg
20210422_150008.jpg

A while back I made up a couple of mini 3-jaw accessory chucks. One of them I use with the collet blocks for sizes larger than the ER-40 collets can hold. Again comes in handy when I don't feel like setting up the super spacer for something quick & small.

(Here I'm using it cause I didn't have the right size collet at the time)
20200710_182544.jpg

That 3-jaw setup is sweet! Another one on the list. Thanks, Will.

Back