ER-40 Collet Chuck for D1-5

I made my own d1-5 backplate. I bought the Tormach ER40 collet chuck. I tried using the Southbend plate but the registers was right on the camlock stud holes.

I don't get the attraction to ER40 collets on larger lathes 5C is much more versatile

I have used both for over 20 years. ER40 for tool holding and 5C for work holding. On lathes with a large enough spindle tube for a draw tube. There is just so much more options in the 5C line.

I have a ER 32 on my lathe. I got a backplate from Grizzly and made an adapter plate to go between the backplate and the collet holder. The ER 40 is similar in the set up.

The ER 40 mount and backplate with an adaptor is the way I’d go. Just less to go wrong than the 5c system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this post while looking for info on D1-5 ER40 chuck. After hunting around (using DarkZero's good info as a starting point), I ended up finding that Shars makes both a back plate and compatible ER40 chuck. The back plate is new and not in their online catalog. I wanted to share the P/N in case it helps anyone out and because it's the only off-the-shelf solution that I found:

SKU 202-1029: ER40 Collet Chuck w/ Fine Adjust
SKU 202-7714: D1-5 Back Plate for ER40 Chuck

Back