ER-40 collet quality

Greatly appreciate it guys. I've watched Halligans videos on making one of these about 4-5 times. Problem is I don't have a quick change gear box on my lathe like he does (change gears only) and don't know how to figure what combo of gears would work if even possible with my setup. The print is quite helpful.
Download the app "Pocket Lathe Gears". Its free.. Enter your list of gears and your leadscrew pitch and the thread you want.. It will work out all possible gear combinations using the gears you have. It remembers the list of gears. It will also tell you what gears you are missing for any thread.. You can define the max amount of error you can live with in metric to and from imperial conversions. I find it super useful cutting metric threads on an imperial lathe.

Download the app "Pocket Lathe Gears". Its free.. Enter your list of gears and your leadscrew pitch and the thread you want.. It will work out all possible gear combinations using the gears you have. It remembers the list of gears. It will also tell you what gears you are missing for any thread.. You can define the max amount of error you can live with in metric to and from imperial conversions. I find it super useful cutting metric threads on an imperial lathe.

Do you have a link for this app?

Thanks,

John

Unfortunately I use an iPhone. Can't find it in the Apple store.

I use a tiny dab of anti seize on the nut bearing surface in my ER collet chucks. It acts like micro bearings and does improve repeatable runout for me. I was lucky my import collet sets have very little runout, but i did debur and polish them anyway. I may try a bearing nut at some point but no need at present.

Back