ER collet chucks with MT1 attachment

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
These ER11-ER25 collet chucks were pointed out to me recently, and they seem like they could be useful on the Sherline machines.

My Beall ER32 chuck is working great for me, but I thought I might put one of these on the sometime in the future list. As a tool holder I assume they would eat up less room than the thread on ER32.

The only other ER chucks I am aware of for the Sherline are the very expensive Glock CNC chucks. These with a set of collets are well under $100.

http://www.ctctools.biz/er-collet-chucks/?sort=featured&page=4

As far as I know, there are no ER chucks that fit a Sherline MT spindle taper - I looked for a very long time. The only way you're going to get it is to buy a chuck and cut the taper yourself, then tap for the drawbar. The accuracy will depend on how accurate you can machine the taper. Another option is to cut off the taper and screwcut a 3/4-16 thread plus register; that is the way I would go for the best accuracy.

I think an ER-20 system would be as big as you would want to consider. It goes up to 1/2", which is about as big as you would want to go on a Sherline mill. ER-16 would be ideal; lighter weight and can handle up to a 12mm tool.

I just use the Beall chuck. A bit big but it is very accurate.

The link I posted has some ER chucks with MT1 tapers. I was just looking for thoughts on them.

You seem to be on the same track, I was thinking ER16 or ER20 might be useful for holding tooling on the mill. Most of my endmills are 3/8" shank so I think ER16 can do that.

I am perfectly happy with the Beall chuck you recommended, it works great. These just seemed like a nice option if I started running into height issues down the way.

Oh, trust me, I've been thinking on these smaller ER chucks for a long time. As you say, height matters in some cases, not to mention rotating mass. The only reason I haven't moved on it is because the larger ER-32 chuck damps vibration so well and I have more than enough room in Z with the extended column. If I didn't have the room, I would have already adapted a smaller chuck for my mill.

I didn't even think about the mass of the Beall chuck being helpful, but it does make sense that it could help to keep things running smooth.

Back