ER collets - a Haas Automation video worth watching

Know more now than I did about er collets. Good video
Ain't that the truth?
I didn't even know there was a Tap style collet to hold the square...
And I tooled how many CNC Machining centers? Where's the DUFUS emoticon?

I have been strongly debating on picking up collets for my mini-lathe.. Especially after not liking how 3-way chuck teeth dig into my work. I liked watching this... still lots of research for me to do I'm sure.

King, you'd like a collet chuck for sure. You will find that many folks have built or bought ER collet chucks for their lathes.

From my viewpoint, I like the 5C collet chuck that I have for chucking workpieces. You can chuck a piece of threaded stock and not tear the threads up. Downside is the overwhelming number of collets that you need with a 5C system due to its smaller clamping range. Not sure what size machine you have and whether or not a 5C setup makes sense or not.

BTW, one thing I thought the video covered well was tool clamping range and application for the ER collets.

I have a 7"x12" mini here...

I currently I'm having lots of fun experimenting on aluminum roundbars of 7mm to 15mm here. Though that will have to wait for a bit as I need to troubleshoot where some rubbing/screeching noise is coming from in the head of the lathe at the moment... :(

---
UpDate:

Currently looking at this set...
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2228&category=

Though I'd rather stick to something more in metric than stone-age imperial units... will continue checking into things.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it (I'll still have to re-watch I'm sure).. I'm not too sure collets will be the solution I was hoping for. I'm just guessing, but if I reverse the direction of rotation, and cut on the backside (I need to do this a lot), isn't there a risk of the collet, or material inside getting loose?

I remember a problem with those screw-in 3-way and 4-way chucks was when cutting on the backside, they had a big risk of unscrewing themselves from the head-stock in the middle of operation, and suddenly you had a very big problem real fast...

Yes, I think that with a drawbar secured chuck you are risking it coming unglued if you run it in reverse. Be sure to study up on clamping ranges too and be sure that kit gets you what you need.

I guess I can still make use of this for when I am working in the standard rotation. So I may still pick up a set..

I have seen talks of people risking cutting into backwise with screw-in chucks... saying it's not a big risk if you don't take hard cuts. That just seems to me like pushing Murphy's law.

I have a feeling 2018 will be my YEAR OF THE COLLETS... I will probably end up testing many different versions by the end of it...

5C collets are held by the taper. They aren't going to unscrew no matter how you apply torque to the collet itself. There's also an anti-rotation pin in the collet, but that's just there to make it easier to install the collet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back