ER11 to ER16 Adapter, Do they Exist?

oskar

Registered
Registered
I plan to purchase an 0.8KW ER11 water cooled spindle which are available only with ER11 collets. These spindles are available with ER16 collets only if they are 1.5KW and above and they require 20A circuit which I don’t have neither I want to have one installed in my garage.

I also have a complete set of ER16 collets which I would like to use with the new spindle and have not been able to find any adapter to convert the ER11 collet to ER16. I only find a lot of ER11 collet extensions.

Are ER11 to ER16 adapters available and if yes from where?

Thanks

Perhaps an ER16 collet extension could be mounted in an ER 11 collet...

If you could fit a larger end mill in a 800W ER11 spindle, the torque probably isn't large enough for serius milling because you have to run your spindle at a lower RPM. For that reason a 1.5 kW spindle would be a better choice. Most of these spindle's can't run below 8000 RPM so for larger diameter end mills you have to use VHM and these are more expensive.
The VFD is also a soft starter and if you set the acceleration in the VFD lower, you won't burn a fuse.
I have an 8 mm ER11 collet that could fit a ER16 C8 shaft extender but It would also increase the runout. Once this collet is put into a nut, it is very hard to get it out. So I use a dedicated nut for this collet.

I will check again the ER16 extension collets, perhaps that’s the solution if not dedicated adapters are available.

I had one of these ER11 water cooled spindles 4-5 years ago and I was very happy with their performance for my needs which basically is hobby work. I would love to have a 1.5KW spindle but the hassle of installing a new 20A line is too much. The runout on these shaft extenders is something I don’t want and that’s the reason I was looking for an adapter which normally is not too long. If I can’t get an adapter then I will have to buy a few ER11 collets.

Many thanks for the help

Just going to destroy bearings and tooling faster using extensions

I received the ER11 to ER16 adapter I wanted and I must say I’m more pleased than expected. I bought an ER11 water cooled spindle but I had a full set of ER16 collets and end mills all in Imperial. Replacing this set would have cost me much more than the CAD$24.00 I paid shipping included. It fits nicely into my ER11 spindle and at the other end my ER16 collets also fit nice. I understand the link below is from a machine shop who are making all kinds of adapters.

Thread Adapter Er11 Er16 Er20 Er25 Er32 Collet Chuck Spindle Motor Rotor Engraving Machine Spindle Motor Shaft Sleeve - Milling Cutter - AliExpress

Attachments

• ER11 to ER16 Received1.jpg
    ER11 to ER16 Received1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 5
Back