• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

ER20 Collet Nut Wrench

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I had made myself an ER20 open end collet wrench a while back. It worked as intended but a couple of times it slipped off the nut. No harm done but sooner or later I'm going to smack my knuckles or hit something and damage it. So I decided to make a box end wrench. Here's a couple of pictures.

Here's the raw material mounted on my vise fixture plate.
IMG_0144[1].JPG

And the finished product.
IMG_0145[1].JPG

spumco

Registered
Registered
Do want one.

I think, however, that since my good friend just bought a CNC plasma table I'll have him punch out a couple rather than making a trashcan full of chips. I can do some cleanup on the mill and make it look swanky like yours.

And I like your fixture plate, too. I'm guessing those are the 5 million 1/4-20 holes you recently tapped, right?

TomS

Active User
Do want one.

I think, however, that since my good friend just bought a CNC plasma table I'll have him punch out a couple rather than making a trashcan full of chips. I can do some cleanup on the mill and make it look swanky like yours.

And I like your fixture plate, too. I'm guessing those are the 5 million 1/4-20 holes you recently tapped, right?
Yep, that's the plate that consumed weeks of everyone's time.

spumco

Registered
Registered
Is it just me, or did you do something really clever like reaming the tops of the holes for dowel pins and thread the bottoms?

I totally stole that idea from the Saunders Machine Works fixture plate for my 4th axis trunnion table.

TomS

Active User
Is it just me, or did you do something really clever like reaming the tops of the holes for dowel pins and thread the bottoms?

I totally stole that idea from the Saunders Machine Works fixture plate for my 4th axis trunnion table.
Yes, I reamed the top half of the holes for dowel pins and threaded the bottom half for bolts. I also stole the idea from Saunders Machine.

Can you share some of the details on your trunnion table. Is there a link to a build thread? I've been thinking about building one.

spumco

Registered
Registered
I'll start another thread.

MontanaAardvark

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I had made myself an ER20 open end collet wrench a while back. It worked as intended but a couple of times it slipped off the nut. No harm done but sooner or later I'm going to smack my knuckles or hit something and damage it. So I decided to make a box end wrench. Here's a couple of pictures.

Here's the raw material mounted on my vise fixture plate.
View attachment 252835

And the finished product.
View attachment 252836
What's that material? I'm assuming "steel" but what alloy?

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Beautiful tool! How thick is your fixture plate? And thanks for forwarding the dowlpin/ threaded hole idea.

TomS

Active User
Beautiful tool! How thick is your fixture plate? And thanks for forwarding the dowlpin/ threaded hole idea.
It's 1" thick. You could make it any thickness you want. I picked 1" because that's the material I had on hand.

[6]
[5] [7]