ER20 Collet Nut Wrench

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had made myself an ER20 open end collet wrench a while back. It worked as intended but a couple of times it slipped off the nut. No harm done but sooner or later I'm going to smack my knuckles or hit something and damage it. So I decided to make a box end wrench. Here's a couple of pictures.

Here's the raw material mounted on my vise fixture plate.
IMG_0144[1].JPG

And the finished product.
IMG_0145[1].JPG

Do want one.

I think, however, that since my good friend just bought a CNC plasma table I'll have him punch out a couple rather than making a trashcan full of chips. I can do some cleanup on the mill and make it look swanky like yours.

And I like your fixture plate, too. I'm guessing those are the 5 million 1/4-20 holes you recently tapped, right?

Do want one.

I think, however, that since my good friend just bought a CNC plasma table I'll have him punch out a couple rather than making a trashcan full of chips. I can do some cleanup on the mill and make it look swanky like yours.

And I like your fixture plate, too. I'm guessing those are the 5 million 1/4-20 holes you recently tapped, right?

Yep, that's the plate that consumed weeks of everyone's time.

Is it just me, or did you do something really clever like reaming the tops of the holes for dowel pins and thread the bottoms?

I totally stole that idea from the Saunders Machine Works fixture plate for my 4th axis trunnion table.

Is it just me, or did you do something really clever like reaming the tops of the holes for dowel pins and thread the bottoms?

I totally stole that idea from the Saunders Machine Works fixture plate for my 4th axis trunnion table.

Yes, I reamed the top half of the holes for dowel pins and threaded the bottom half for bolts. I also stole the idea from Saunders Machine.

Can you share some of the details on your trunnion table. Is there a link to a build thread? I've been thinking about building one.

I had made myself an ER20 open end collet wrench a while back. It worked as intended but a couple of times it slipped off the nut. No harm done but sooner or later I'm going to smack my knuckles or hit something and damage it. So I decided to make a box end wrench. Here's a couple of pictures.

Here's the raw material mounted on my vise fixture plate.
View attachment 252835

And the finished product.
View attachment 252836

What's that material? I'm assuming "steel" but what alloy?

Beautiful tool! How thick is your fixture plate? And thanks for forwarding the dowlpin/ threaded hole idea.

Back