ER32 Collet Chuck for Lathe

Boojie

Registered
Registered
Does any one have experience using an ER32 collet chuck in the lathe headstock? What did you buy?

I bought an ER32 starter kit with the chuck on an R8 arbor and five collets. The chuck fits in an MT5 to R8 sleeve in the spindle.
I buy additional collets when necessary.
I have also made my own ER32 chuck that fits directly on the D1-4 spindle nose.

I bought an ER32 starter kit with the chuck on an R8 arbor and five collets. The chuck fits in an MT5 to R8 sleeve in the spindle.
I buy additional collets when necessary.
I have also made my own ER32 chuck that fits directly on the D1-4 spindle nose.

Unless I’m mistake the Smithy machines have a MT4 headstock. At least my CB-1220XL is supposed to.
What are you using the MT5 on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a 12x36 lathe with a D1-4 spindle nose. I believe that the MT5 socket is fairly common in the D1-4.

It is fairly straightforward to buy an ER nut and make your own MT4 ER chuck.

I have this one from Beall.
http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

I got the 3/4-16 threaded version with a set of collets for my Sherline, and bought another with 1-1/2-8 thread without collets when I got a 10x24" lathe. I'm just sharing the collets between the two.

These thread onto the spindle so don't interfere with the ability to pass material through the head unlike most of the arbor style chucks that fit into the spindle bore.

I finished my ER32 chuck for the headstock last week. Not too hard to make. Your lathe has to be able to cut metric threads. The only tricky part was getting the taper dialed in. Have not used it yet.

IMG_3695.JPG

I have an MT4 ER40 collet holder that I use in the headstock of my CB1220XL. Works real well, runs very true.
I had the MT3 Er40 collet set for the mill and I bought the MT4 ER30 on Ebay I believe.

Back