ER40 Collet Block

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I purchased one of the inexpensive import square ER40 collet blocks on eBay - I think it was $30. The good news - the taper and threads were nice looking and seem to properly clamp my collets, and the collet nut that came with the block looks good and works well. The bad news - the faces of the block are not parallel / perpendicular and not equal-distant from the taper. I estimate that they are out by around 0.010 inch. Also, the block is not hardened.

Even so, I probably did get my money's worth. Some day I may fixture it referencing the taper and take light cuts on the sides.

Very interesting. So the block will work for holding a round part for a single cut, like making a D-bit, but not work for making a square head bolt? This would be annoying, even at $30.

Given that the collet block isn't hardened, why not just true it up? I would insert a collet for the largest pin that would pass through and use the pin as an axle. With a pair of standoff blocks t rest the pin on in your machinists vice, you can face the first side parallel to the pin axis. *If your vise jaws are square, you can the rotate the cpllet block 90º so the previously faced surface is against the fixed jaw. The second face shoulde now be parallel to the pin axis and perpendicular to the first face and the two faces should be equidistant from the pin axis. Repeat for the remaining two faces. You will need to machine two standoff blocks which are narrower than the collet block and tall enough so the collet block will be above the vise jaws but that should be a simple task.

Have a look at http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=252
and http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=469
These are excellent quality made from tool steel and very accurate.
They are bigger than the collet nut across all flats and allow 1,2,3,4,6,and 12-sided fixturing - and always sit on a flat and are clamped across two flats in every position. Being bigger across the flats than the outside nut diameter allows these to be used on a magnetic chuck directly!
Much more useful then the set of 4 and 6-sided Stevenson Blocks.
They are bored through to the maximum available oversize collet diameter (from AliExpress). They are 26mm for the ER32 and 30mm for the ER40 blocks.
Postage may be an issue due to their weight.... but postage from Australia is still significantly cheaper than from the USA.....

VERY nice! 12-sided, and the body is larger than the nut. I'll have to ask them what shipping to the US would cost.

Not too terrible ... $60 for the collet block, $6 for GST, $15 shipping. Total of $81. I assume they're talking about US dollars, but should probably check before I order. If the prices are in AU$, that would be about $49.50 US.

Last edited:
Not too terrible ... $60 for the collet block, $6 for GST, $15 shipping. Total of $81. I assume they're talking about US dollars, but should probably check before I order.

Thanks for the info. That's not too bad. And if that's not USD then even better! I'm thinking about ordering one too even though I already have collet blocks.

I've sent them an email. Will post whatever info I get.

And GST is only for Australian citizens.

OK. I got a reply from Felix at mag-pro. A bit difficult to understand ... appears to be an ESL issue. Good news, though - the GST is NOT applied to foreign orders, and the prices are AU$.

I just don't know how to delete the GST from the online order form, and as the shipping quoted is for probably for domestic shipments only, I don't yet know how to get a handle on how much the "bottom line" would be.

Here's the full text of the email:

== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Dear John,

Thank you very much for your interesting in our products . I want to tell you story on the Unique Joe Collet Block for ER 32. The designer is a member of Hobby Machinist Forum too. His name is Joe Hovel . Maybe you knew him and he even is my client and now become the best friend in Australia . He even bought our products and talked about his design. I thought that it is a good products . Then I help him to produce his design as the products .

Now I answer your question .
  • 1) For foreign order --- We will have no GST .
  • 2) The amount is AUD (Australia Dollar ) --- Because our company M&G Products Australia Pty Ltd face the Australia Market only now .
Hope I have explain them clear. Final , I only want to say that we have 2 kinds of Unique Joe Collet Block --- ER32 and ER40 . And I gave Joe design advise . We used Ball bear Collet Nut as the Collet block Nut . It make the produce having better function .

You can confirm the order on our website . www.mag-pro.com.au

Regards & Have a nice weekend !

Felix

M&G Productions Australia Pty Ltd

myh@mager-int.com

mag-pro@tpg.com.au

Cell Phone :0426649889

www.mag-pro.com.au

Last edited:
Back