ER40 collet chuck

Great work! Inspiring! I should make me one!

I can stretch some jobs out too. I'm so paranoid about leaving the key in the chuck, I often walk away with it in my hand to leave it sitting in random places around the shop.
I think that part of the habit with chuck keys needs to end with them in specific places after every use. Every time. It is important that we notice that we are doing something different than usual to set off the alarm bells in our head that something is wrong. I also look at the chuck key in its resting place before pushing the spindle start button. A combination of muscle memory from doing it the same way each time, along with looking at the key, which is not in the chuck, tells us that the chuck key is safe for us to continue. Random actions give random results. I prove it daily, and work on it daily...

I also look at the chuck key in its resting place before pushing the spindle start button

GREAT advise Bob. Just like before backing up in your car, you check the mirrors, each machine should have a quick visual check list. Only has to be one or two things. like the chuck key is in the proper storage, nothing is touching the rotating parts that should not be.
Do it EVERY time and it will only take 1/2 second, will become automatic.

When I got my first lathe my mentor impressed on me to build a holder for the T handles in the front of the lathe and the handles only ever leave the hand into the holder. whenever it is out of the holder it is 'welded to my hand'.... never left it in the chuck in nearly 40 years.

When I got my first lathe my mentor impressed on me to build a holder for the T handles in the front of the lathe and the handles only ever leave the hand into the holder. whenever it is out of the holder it is 'welded to my hand'.... never left it in the chuck in nearly 40 years.
My lathe also has several chuck handles. They are all kept in the same area, behind the chuck, close to each other. All three have to be there for me to turn on the spindle.

Back