ER40 collet retaining nut is bad! Check your items as soon as you get them!

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got a couple of ER40 collets chucks to use with my set up. Two different orders came via Amazon, but were shipped from China. A third order was via eBay. The problem in all cases is the retaining ring on the inside of the nut that the ER collet snaps into is offset relative to the rest of the nut and will not allow the collet to be inserted. Beware and check your pieces when you receive them!

Right side in the photo below has clearance but when you look at the left you can see that the entire snap in part is offset to the nut and won’t work! Grrrrrrr!

Insert the empty collet into the nut on a slight diagonal and push until it clicks in. This allows you to unscrew the nut/part, turn it another half turn and the collet will release the clamped work.

Did you ever notice most of the tools and accessories we buy don't come with instructions? I guess we're just supposed to know how they're supposed to work, even though we've likely never seen one--let alone seen one being used. I would have had the same question. That's the great thing about this site: people ready to explain stuff to us novices without displaying a bunch of attitude!

I actually made the same assumption, the vendor sent me a replacement and didn't even point this out either, then I finally read about how they work-
DOH!

No attitude here, I started out as a know nothing apprentice, hope to help as much as I can....

I suspect that most of the things we buy were made to sell to professionals (or their employers) who are replacing worn out tooling. They don't need instructions.

That's why we are here. So (newbies) can ask their questions without being slandered.

I had the same frustration when it came to inserting ER collets in the nut for the first time. Trick is to rock the collet into place.

Oh I am not even an apprentice! I need an apprentice teaching me!

Back