ER40 collet retaining nut is bad! Check your items as soon as you get them!

I bought a set of ER-32 to R8 collets a while back and had the luck of the nut not retracting the collet.
After going through the hoops with them through Ebay I got a full refund, perhaps when I can look at them without getting angry
I will buy a nut from a reputable vendor and put them to use......................They popped in the groove fine but would not pull the collet out

I bought some ER nuts with integral bearing in them from Mari Tool. Getting them with bearing doesn’t cause an uneven loading on the collet from the nut. Nice quality. Http.maritool.com

I bought some ER nuts with integral bearing in them from Mari Tool. Getting them with bearing doesn’t cause an uneven loading on the collet from the nut. Nice quality. Http.maritool.com
Thanks I will give them a look........................:cool:

Thanks I will give them a look........................:cool:

Also look on ebay for Rego-Fix HiQ solid nuts. Rego-Fix were the innovators of the ER system and know how to make a good hardened nut that is very accurate. In my opinion, good collets and a good coated nut are the keys to accuracy for an ER system and Rego-Fix is probably the world standard for that. ETM and Techniks also make good coated solid nuts.

Did you ever notice most of the tools and accessories we buy don't come with instructions? I guess we're just supposed to know how they're supposed to work, even though we've likely never seen one--let alone seen one being used. I would have had the same question. That's the great thing about this site: people ready to explain stuff to us novices without displaying a bunch of attitude!

This is something I really appreciated and I rarely see commented on with the Sherline machines and tooling. They include good instructions for set up and use with almost everything they sell. A huge plus for somebody new coming into this hobby without a clue.

Be careful buying ER nuts from Mari Tool they have their own proprietary thread size....

They talk about it at about 5:00 minutes. in...

Not sure what you heard, but I can screw my Mari Bearing Nut on any of my ER tooling pieces. They do have a “special wrench” for tightening that fits much better than any of the wrenches I had with other kits.

Not sure what you heard, but I can screw my Mari Bearing Nut on any of my ER tooling pieces. They do have a “special wrench” for tightening that fits much better than any of the wrenches I had with other kits.

I heard the Owner of Mari Tool tell me that its a much finer thread in that video and that it wont work properly... However they do make they regular style as well they also say that in the video.... guess you didn't watch it.... :cool: I'm just letting him know they make a product that looks exactly the same but won't work....

Last edited:
I just bought a bunch of Techniks Stuff. ER collet chucks, drill chuck, milling chuck, ER collets and milling chuck collets and extra collet nuts. Their quality is VERY nice. Their ER collet nut has some serious claims behind them. Looks like more holding power than bearing nuts.

Attachments

• B280BFB7-AD1A-4D03-8058-4B3697621F39.png
    B280BFB7-AD1A-4D03-8058-4B3697621F39.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 21
Back