Erector set part number "IA" Zeppelin swivel assembly

Wrong Zeppelin. The Hindenburg burst into flames. The Graf Zeppelin was scrapped.
Correct regarding the Hindenburg bursting into flames. The Graf Zeppelin (also hydrogen filled) preceded the Hindenburg by 8 years and made its "around the world" trip in 1929 (was built in 1928). Gilbert created their Zeppelin model as a "tribute" to the Graf Zeppelin in 1929, not the Hindenburg. The Hindenburg was launched in 1936, well after this model was introduced by the toy company.

Bruce

Last edited:
Great write up Bruce. I had to make a compressor valve from a stainless fender washer the other day and take it from .060 to .030 thickness along with decreasing the diameter, and increasing the size of the center hole to .500. This required making several holding fixtures, and I thought that was quite the job. You do some pretty amazing work my friend. I seem to be happier making much larger things. Cheers, Mike

Bruce, As always, amazing work and detailed explanation!

Coincidentally last nigh, I watched a documentary about the Zeppelin raids on Britain during WW1, I had not heard of these events, fascinating.
Apparently, it took the intestines of a quarter of a million cows to make the gas bladders for just one Zeppelin!

Bruce, As always, amazing work and detailed explanation!

Coincidentally last nigh, I watched a documentary about the Zeppelin raids on Britain during WW1, I had not heard of these events, fascinating.
Apparently, it took the intestines of a quarter of a million cows to make the gas bladders for just one Zeppelin!
Thanks Eddy,

I've been watching a History Channel series called "America - The Story of Us". I didn't realize that the US (and most of the world) used to use whale oil for most lubrication and lamps until around the 1860's. Stunk to be a whale back in those days!

Bruce

Back