Erich's Benchtop Gear Hobber Project

Yeah, but sadly arbor presses big enough for broaching aren't ideal for budgets haha :)
I completely agree.

I also agree hydraulic presses are not ideal. However, with the press linked, the cylinder is threaded into a plate bolted to the upper support. There is ZERO play. It's also very square to everything, unlike those budget tool bottle jack/bottle hack presses. There is a pressure/force gauge to monitor what's going on also. Still not as good as feeling the handle of an arbor press, but SO much better than an HF press.
And all things considered, this hydraulic press is still safer than using a sledge hammer to drive that broach! ;)

Edit: I guess since you're making a gear hobbing machine, getting something better to drive broaches is probably pretty high up on the list . If that's a bigger arbor press, this machine would probably justify it...

Something just crossed my mind. Once you get the machine up and running I could use a couple of brass gears for my old sheldon lathe, if you're up for a small paying job... ;)

Last edited:
But we are the worlds best enablers! :laughing:
Hand raised, "Hi, My Name is Dan. And I'm a tooloholic".

(No offence to anyone in any actual program. Just my sense of humor... )

I completely agree.

I also agree hydraulic presses are not ideal. However, with the press linked, the cylinder is threaded into a plate bolted to the upper support. There is ZERO play. It's also very square to everything, unlike those budget tool bottle jack/bottle hack presses. There is a pressure/force gauge to monitor what's going on also. Still not as good as feeling the handle of an arbor press, but SO much better than an HF press.
And all things considered, this hydraulic press is still safer than using a sledge hammer to drive that broach! ;)

Edit: I guess since you're making a gear hobbing machine, getting something better to drive broaches is probably pretty high up on the list . If that's a bigger arbor press, this machine would probably justify it...

Something just crossed my mind. Once you get the machine up and running I could use a couple of brass gears for my old sheldon lathe, if you're up for a small paying job... ;)

Yeah, I figure I'm going to be doing a lot of 5/8" bores with a keyway while making this (I want to make a set of ~20 gears with this for itself), so I want it to be as low-effort as possible here. I'd be up for making those gears for you though once this machine is up and running! It might be a while though, I think I'm approaching the 'devil in the details' part of this project (PLUS, the 'its too cold to start a fire in teh shop, I'm going to stay on the couch today part of the year) :) But if you're up for the wait, I'm up for it!

But we are the worlds best enablers! :laughing:

Don't I know it!

Hand raised, "Hi, My Name is Dan. And I'm a tooloholic".

(No offence to anyone in any actual program. Just my sense of humor... )

I too was trying to find a way to reference a 12 step program, except we're the inverse :D

:) But if you're up for the wait, I'm up for it!
This thing has needed new brass gears for way longer than I've owned it. Probably 30+ years if I had to guess! So, no rush. Just another of those 'roundtoit projects...

I too was trying to find a way to reference a 12 step program, except we're the inverse :D
I'm only at step 1. I don't think I'll get beyond that... ...I think I'm ok with that. ;)

Buying an arbor press is like...step 10 I think. 1.Drill Press 2.Lathe 3.Mill ....I know 8 is a surface grinder?

Buying an arbor press is like...step 10 I think. 1.Drill Press 2.Lathe 3.Mill ....I know 8 is a surface grinder?
Haha! Well, I'm skipping around I guess, I don't have a drill press in my shop, but have the arbor press and surface grinder. What step is a shaper? Because I'm on my 2nd of one of those :D

Next, obviously. It would make those key-ways in short order. I'm heading down the mountain in a day or two, to feed the habit. Cheers, Mike

Haha! Well, I'm skipping around I guess, I don't have a drill press in my shop, but have the arbor press and surface grinder. What step is a shaper? Because I'm on my 2nd of one of those :D

Next, obviously. It would make those key-ways in short order. I'm heading down the mountain in a day or two, to feed the habit. Cheers, Mike
Heh, i considered using the shaper for the key ways, and I've done so in the past! While MUCH cheaper to do, its also somewhat time consuming, particularly for 20+gears.

Back