Erich's Benchtop Gear Hobber Project

It is a Emerson Astec DS450-3-002. I saw that when poking around today, but think it might be a little 'overkill' and a a little 'oversized' :D

Instead I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096VL68B1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I had a similar one show up in a kit to make a power supply, and it seems to be good enough. More importantly, it has a much smaller footprint:)
Hmmm,

I'm guessing you probably just need to pull pin B6 to B4 to get it to light up (Maybe B6 to logic ground, if it's already high). Shouldn't be too hard to make a spade that would plug into the +12V and +12V Return lines.

Hmmm,

I'm guessing you probably just need to pull pin B6 to B4 to get it to light up (Maybe B6 to logic ground, if it's already high). Shouldn't be too hard to make a spade that would plug into the +12V and +12V Return lines.
Both B4 and B6 seem to be 3.3V, so I tried C1 (which looks like logic ground?) which didn't make a difference. I still wasn't getting 12v. I suspect I also have to do something with D1.

Both B4 and B6 seem to be 3.3V, so I tried C1 (which looks like logic ground?) which didn't make a difference. I still wasn't getting 12v. I suspect I also have to do something with D1.
D1 or possibly A1.

Are any of the pins physically shorter than the others? Usually the last one to be seated says 'GO'...

D1 or possibly A1.

Are any of the pins physically shorter than the others? Usually the last one to be seated says 'GO'...
They don't look it, but they are tiny! So I can't really tell.

I messed with the electrical today, I got the cheap 50A power supply which seems to do the trick. I wired it up to the speed controller, then hooked it up to the motor.

PXL_20230128_020907870.jpg
At 23% on the speed controller, the motor actually spun. I took an oscilloscope reading here, it seems to spike over 12v (that is 1v/div with a 12x probe).

PXL_20230128_020917517.jpg

I expected a 5k rpm motor, but at 23%, I'm seeing this:

PXL_20230128_021315069.jpg

At 50%, this:
PXL_20230128_021409366.PORTRAIT.jpg

And at 100%:

PXL_20230128_021432020.PORTRAIT.jpg

That seems like an off-by 10 error somewhere there... Not sure where yet.

Oh wait, I realized I AM off by 10x, because I was reading those wrong :) I remember now getting confused the last time I used these too.

The 100 rpm at the top of the gauges is "100 is 1 rotation", so that is a 1-1000 rpm gauge in 1rpm increments, and the bigger one is 10-10k rpm, where each hash on the big dial is 10 rpm.

So seemingly my power supply is pretty complicated :) it has 30 different pins, and is seemingly a power supply for a 1U or 2U server. I don't get 12v power it appears without shorting the correct pins.

I probably need to order a socket for the connector, and start messing with it at one point. It is ALSO way bigger than I thought, so I might look into a less-nice PSU and go with a standard "120v goes in, 12v goes out!" kinda supplies.
Power supply for 1U server?

PC server?

We have a small stack of them we bought as spares for our 1U servers in a SCADA system.

They all are no longer needed.

2 1U Cases with unknown mother boards about pentium 4 age and maybe 4 power supplies.

Trade for???

They are In our way.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

For a part of the project, I was wondering if anyone knows of an MT2 'extension' sleeve that only extends ~2"? I'm guessing its not possible, as that leaves not all that much wall thickness, but I can hope :)

At 23% on the speed controller, the motor actually spun. I took an oscilloscope reading here, it seems to spike over 12v (that is 1v/div with a 12x probe).

View attachment 435241
Probably just looking at ringing on the long lead length. Try twisting the + and - wires from the power supply to the speed controller, and also the speed controller to the motor. That should change the wave shape. Might also check to see if your probe is compensated properly.

A little ringing like that is only really an RFI issue. Technically, you *should* clean it up, but for something that you only use once in a while it's probably fine. Unless your neighbors can't listen to the baseball game on the AM radio...

So, this project lives! Or at least, continues. Cold weather, getting distracted by setting up an electronics diagnostics lab, family medical stuff, business trips, and a paying (eventually!) machining job, put this project on the back burner for a while. BUT, it was 50 degrees today, so I put a bit more than an hour into this project.

My big goal next is to get the motor setup. I started with a FIRST Robotics CIM motor, and a 4:1 gearbox. Since I ALSO have a 4:1 gearing on the belt, that makes a top speed of roughly 600 RPM, which seems about right to me.

Here is all of the stuff. You can see the motor above, plus the gearbox adapter attached. The gearbox is the blue thing inthe center:

PXL_20230316_211924006.jpg

Inside the gearbox is a planetary gear set that the motor (with the little gear attached!) sits inside of.

PXL_20230316_211946887.jpg

Behind that is the shaft inside some bearings. It is held in with an annoying snap ring...:

PXL_20230316_212010103.jpg

AND the other angle:

PXL_20230316_213051837.jpg

However, I chose an 8mm shaft for my belt pulleys, and the gearbox is a large hex. So a quick trip to the lathe fixed that up:

PXL_20230316_215813202.jpg

I used the arbor press to push the gear on:
PXL_20230316_220247593.jpg

AND all assembled:
PXL_20230316_220616820.jpg

You can see the mounting bolts on the motor gearbox, which I'll use for ONE of the mounting locations. Next time I'll have to work on a way to mount the gearbox to the hobb spindle in some way.

Back