ERL-1340 Lathe VFD Control System and Additions

Appreciate the comments, agree that the lathe headstock id a bit long for barrel work, although you can use a shorter spider with the bolts under the cover.

Some additional information on the DRO install I posted here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...th-glass-and-sra-m-dro-magnetic-scales.77261/

The tailstock magnetic scale install is fairly straight forward but you need to mock up everything first so you have enough travel, nothing interferes with the levers and also the back dial ring when the scale is fully retracted. I had room on the back of the tailstock to mount it, but it could also be mounted on the top or front if you do not have the space. I went this route because I had an extra axis on the DRO, otherwise I would have just used a battery operated DRO scale.

The reader mount has a cutout for the rail to pass through (clearance was 0.001"), this sits on top of a 1/8" plate so the scale is not flat against the tailstock. The reader head slides from the back into a U cutout and retained by two small metric allen cap screws, there is a small adjustment for the reader height, but the reader did not seen to be effected by height, even when it was close to 1/4" away from the scale. It is adjusted for about a 0.1" gap. You can also use different height back plates (behind the scale) if you are off a bit, and the reader mount has small adjustments (mounting holes slightly oversized) for vertical movement and rotation. Basically clamped everything up and made sure nothing was binding (and the scale worked), marked the location of the bracket with tape and then drilled the mounting holes. The front of the magnetic scale is retained with two allen screws.

As always, nice job Mark! I’ll het it feels good to have a lathe up and running again. You went for a while without one.

Blaine

Mark,
Congrats on the move and the new lathe. Your typical excellent work and mods, Sir. Enjoy.

Congrats Mark! A lifer! As always very informative and nice work!

Back