Escape 2001 Vacuum Lines Melted EGR Valve Replace with Stainless tube ?

If you were to put a pressure gauge on the DPFE line marked EMS and start the car there should be very little pressure. You will need to run the engine up to about 2000 RPM and hold it there. More then a few PSI then you have a plugged cat or exhaust. This will only work for Bank 1 which is where your EGR valve is.

It used to be 1 psi or less for every 1000 rpm. I don’t know if things have changed since I got out of the trade.

From Ford PCED manual for reference. And remember this was not posted as chest bumping by me just as information to help.

HF8 : CHECK FOR EXCESSIVE EXHAUST BACK PRESSURE WITH EXHAUST BACK PRESSURE TOOL
NOTE: Typical exhaust back pressure, when measured near the exhaust manifold and at normal engine operating temperature, should not exceed 20.7 kPa (3 psi) at idle and 55.2 kPa (8 psi) at wide open throttle (WOT) under load.
  • Install an exhaust back pressure tester and follow the tool manufacturer installation and testing instructions

• Does the exhaust back pressure test indicate a restriction?
Yes
REPAIR as necessary.
Clear the PCM DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
To continue diagnosis of a symptom (lack of power, loss of power, or no start), REFER to Section 3, Symptom Charts.

I almost would be surprised if there isn't a hole in one of the pistons after that little episode. My daughter had a Mazda 6 Wagon with a V6 in it. It had four Cats and the front one plugged and burnt a hole through #1 piston. Dear old dad went to a salvage yard and replaced the motor with a Ford Fusion motor along with custom set of headers. That'll teach them cats to hang around... ;)

Made a Video and deleted it as I was uploading. 2nd video turned out better.

Thanks for all of the help , We do appreciate it

Should be a vacumn diagram under your hood.

Help is what we are here for. now if we could tie a bit of machining into this...….....

Help is what we are here for. now if we could tie a bit of machining into this...….....

Machine a custom 02 sensor test bung. Mine is a sensor hole plug with a hole drilled through the middle and a piece of copper tube
stuck in it to hook the vacuum/pressure gauge hose to.
I find it's a great way to test the cats, by pulling a forward 02 sensor and screwing in the test plug with vacuum/pressure gauge connected.
Starting and revving the engine gives a very fast indication of whether they are a problem or not.
Needle will show almost no pressure on a good set of cats, and will look like it's trying to be a tachometer with a bad set of cats, the needle will move with rpm.
A shop that does custom exhaust will usually have 02 sensor hole plugs as well as weld on 02 sensor fittings.

Thanks guys, The O2 port/bung is a good idea. I think I bad some 1018 bungs years ago for some one.

During testing leaving the 02 sensor dangling in Air ok I figure, vs making a "Tee" deal that can do screwed in to the exhaust and then branch to sensor and pressure gauge.

A Aluminum tube or rod with enough wall should be ok, a 303 or 1018 insert to mount to exhaust.

Machine tools sure does come in handy.

Back