Estate Sale scores. And need to identify the Ames Indicator.

It has a rather heavy-duty plunger on it. Around .25" of travel.
Would love to see what it went with or into.
Finding or doing up a crystal for it should be interesting...

CYLINDER BORE GAGE. Used to Ck the walls in engines for wear. Diameter and taper.
I have several cylinder bore gages and none of them look like it, similar, but not. Note the styles is not the long perpendicular rod coming from the base. And the two sides of the base are not rounded, more square looking, so not really a good reference surface when inside a hole. Somebody will recognize it so this toolaholic can get some nights sleep:confused 3:…Dave

I have several cylinder bore gages and none of them look like it, similar, but not. Note the styles is not the long perpendicular rod coming from the base. And the two sides of the base are not rounded, more square looking, so not really a good reference surface when inside a hole. Somebody will recognize it so this toolaholic can get some nights sleep:confused 3:…Dave
I still think it's for some engine parts or bearings, used in diesels or other large cylinders the plunger is where ?? Through the cast next to the larger rod. That curved face is there for some round shape for sure... liners to press in heads need specs cked too.
Hope it does get found out I've had an item since I was about ten that no one's ever seen... or knows what it is. My only guess on that is a quack medical device.

It is definitely and positively a cylinder bore gage, possibly just an earlier and more primitive one than the more familiar looking ones. It should have had a long handle of some sort to push it through the bore being gaged.

I still think it's for some engine parts or bearings, used in diesels or other large cylinders the plunger is where ?? Through the cast next to the larger rod. That curved face is there for some round shape for sure... liners to press in heads need specs cked too.
Hope it does get found out I've had an item since I was about ten that no one's ever seen... or knows what it is. My only guess on that is a quack medical device.
Yes Silverbullet, the indicator plunger/stylus looks like it’s the smaller of the two buttons on the bottom. I can’t even guess what the thing is used for, makes no sense. Must be for some quirky thing from long ago, that has not been used in decades. And we are only seeing a small part of the big picture…Dave

Is the larger button on the bottom spring loaded?

Last edited:
Yes Silverbullet, the indicator plunger/stylus looks like it’s the smaller of the two buttons on the bottom. I can’t even guess what the thing is used for, makes no sense. Must be for some quirky thing from long ago, that has not been used in decades. And we are only seeing a small part of the big picture…Dave

Is the larger button on the bottom spring loaded?
Not as far a I can tell - pushing on it moderately. Seems solid as does the smaller one.
I wonder what the scribe is for.

Back