Etching aluminum

Larry42

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I want to make some aluminum ID tags for a project. Did my usual YouTube searches. Found one that sounded simple and gave it a try this week end. NaOH (Drano.)
It etched to .016" deep in about 12 hours. It came out very smooth. I mixed a fairly concentrated 1/2 pint of water and the NaOH. A paper printed with laser toner works as a resist.

Did you iron on the resist? I've heard it works well for PC boards but haven't tried it

Not sure what you are "etching" however I got great results using an old pc power supply and some salt water to etch some serial numbers into some aluminum parts. I was able to control the dept and used some nail polish as a masking template that produced very cleanly defined edges and this happened relatively quickly within minutes.

Ten-thousandths deep is a pretty respectable depth for 12 hours, I'm going to have to try it out. Not that I need anything right now, but you never know. I'm curious about the resist / transfer method as well.

-frank

My tone was running low so the toner resist try didn't work the best. But the bare back side came out very smooth.

I used to do toner transfer but finally broke down and bought photo-resist dry film (Dupont Dynamask). It works SO much better than the toner transfer. It used to be impossible to find, but is all over Ebay and Amazon now.

I want to make some aluminum ID tags for a project. Did my usual YouTube searches. Found one that sounded simple and gave it a try this week end. NaOH (Drano.)
It etched to .016" deep in about 12 hours. It came out very smooth. I mixed a fairly concentrated 1/2 pint of water and the NaOH. A paper printed with laser toner works as a resist.

I would love to see some pictures of your results!

Back