Ever notice ?

Might be a thought to just post a quick reminder or emoji reminding people to stay on track with the original topic. Nothing that would seem unfriendly though more like a nudge.
To many nudges turn to push , if its carried way off then put a pop up or something , like hit the target not the wall.
I know I ramble on but try to relate to the questions or topic. It's my experience I related or try to.

I think this is a case of "all things in moderation". I've seen plenty of threads where the initial point was lost along the way, often times by no doing if the OP. Sometimes that can be frustrating, especially when you're the person asking the question in my opinion.

On the on the other hand, in the thread mentioned (how heavy to build a mill stand), two posts were made, each ending with an off topic comment before the posters (OP included) were chastised. For me, there was nothing wrong with where the thread was going, it was three sentences of fluff.

I think it is also perspective dependant, I find that I rarely go a day reading posts on here without someone, usually one of the many seasoned members who make this place really worthwhile, waxing on about how the younger generation doesn't get it, the condemnation of all things Asian, or making comments about the perceived superiority of the classical tradesman over engineers or other "elitists". To me these things are all horses which have been beaten into glue and don't add anything, but I skim over them because there's probably a nugget of gold in there somewhere.

I view forums like these as a place to commune with friends; I often call a buddy up to ask him something and we usually chat about kids, crazy ex's, or whatever else while we're on the phone. I don't need the conversation to be sterile for it to be worth my time to read. That's just my take, if it isn't what the management wants, it's their forum.

I am sorry for sayng anything. From now on I will keep my opinions to myself.
If a staff meber would please delete this whole thread I will appreciate it.

Hey Bill,
It is a good point and I'm glad someone made it.
I'm know that I'm very guilty of rambling off topic. As someone said, all things in moderation. I need to remind myself of this sometimes. Thanks for the reminder.

Don't be and please don't respectively! Seriously, we all have different ideas about how we want the world to be, there is nothing wrong with some civil discussion about it.

It is a very hard line to be drawn. I think we do a pretty good job here when compared to other forums out there. My view is one or two posts and then we need to get focused again. I also take into account if it is the OP. We all have an opportunity to participate in the control of this site. Any members reported posts to the staff are taken seriously and dealt with accordingly. We have to ask, do we want to be strictly business or friendly and cordial? Again, a wide spectrum to consider. Thank you all for a healthy discussion on an important topic. :encourage:

Last edited:

Bill I think your post is appropriate. For me it served as a friendly reminder to try and stick to the topic at hand..at least the original thread.

If I start to drift off in a thread, I would not take exception to someone suggesting that perhaps I should start a new thread.

All also think that the responses here have been thoughtful and cordial.

David

Back