Excellco 602 Mill

Surveywaters

Registered
Registered
I purchased my first big mill to replace my Central Machinery mill/drill. Needs a little work but the ways are in great shape. Biggest defect is the quill spring broke years ago and the table has been hit quite a few times when the quill fell while running. So I'm hunting a replacement spring. We picked it up and brought to my shop using a tandem axle trailer and an aluminum take down gantry, sketchy work but nothing was damaged.

Attached to the knee is a mystery bar. Does anyone know what this piece is for? It's on the left side just under the table and protruding out over the knee crank.

Also, if there is anyone who has a model like this, I need a picture of the spindle side variable speed pulley from the top. Where the arm that raises and lowers the front sheave attaches around the upper bearing, I have a pin in the front and back that don't look original and are loose. I wonder if they should be set screws.029d7aec7c754df67d23b5a83d4dd19a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That bar has been added by some user before you. Why? I dunno.

I've owned a 602 for twenty years and done a complete tear down on the head a few years ago. Refresh my memory with a pic of exactly what you are looking at. Also have a complete parts donor machine.

Here's the manual.

Attachments

• Excello 602 Manual.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 16
Thanks, I removed it. Who ever installed it pit a lot of work into it, just didn't know if it served some common purpose.

Thank you for the manual.

I've been cleaning the mill up, probably have removed over 50lbs of chips. I need to take the table off and clean next. Doing anything on this guy is more difficult than my mill/drill. I'm a bit more nervous about messing up the accuracy of things too. The table is nicely adjusted but really needs the tear down. I believe the po used an air compressor a lot.

Does your mill says "EX-CELL-O" or "X L O" on the Speed Control Housing?
The manual provided is for the former model.
I can add a .pdf of the "X L O" type manual if you need it.

That bar was used for a travel dial indicator. It was an indicator with a little rubber wheel that ran on that flat bar. That's what we used before DRO's

Does your mill says "EX-CELL-O" or "X L O" on the Speed Control Housing?
The manual provided is for the former model.
I can add a .pdf of the "X L O" type manual if you need it.
I have the older XLO mill. I've downloaded all of the literature from vintagemachinery.com. Unfortunately, the original documentation has very condensed diagrams that, due to age and detail, are very difficult to decipher. There are several issues to be addressed, first of which is the variable speed. The front pulley has play on the upper bearing assembly. Mine has a pin fore and aft of the upper bearing which are both loose. I can not tell in the drawings what these are suppose to bet, either pin or set screw. A quality photo of a similar assembly would be most helpful, or detailed discourse with an owner of a similar mill.

That bar has been added by some user before you. Why? I dunno.

I've owned a 602 for twenty years and done a complete tear down on the head a few years ago. Refresh my memory with a pic of exactly what you are looking at. Also have a complete parts donor machine.

Here's the manual.
The red arrow shows the front pin in question, the other is 180deg on the same surface. The blue and green arrows emphasize the area of excess play.

Next is the oil leak from the gear box and the lack of engagement from the quill feed plunger. I hope to maintain the attention of your ear.1e1973a6b11daad3d4e773e5ef014426.jpg

Sorry, got no memory of that pin. No help here.

My tear down was due to a terrible oil leak in the head. It was quite the job, sure don't want to do it again.

Sorry, got no memory of that pin. No help here.

My tear down was due to a terrible oil leak in the head. It was quite the job, sure don't want to do it again.
Where did you find the oil leak to be? I have the same problem. I understand the bottom seal is leather, if you replaced this, did you use a modern seal? Is the seal surface in the casting machined?

Yep, that was the worst one. You can still buy parts from Excello but pretty sure I just got a standard seal from a local bearing supply. It was a standard machining into cast iron.

If you do run across a broken part, let me know. I have a complete spare head. I did take the best parts from both units to make one new one. Mine had varispeed issues. Mostly cause by ten pounds of swarf pounded into every crack. I'm sure that why the seal went out, the interior was full of fine machinings also.

Only real dis-assembly issue I remember is on the gibs. there are two set screws with an Allen wrench through hole. You turn the first one CLOCKWISE to loosen, then line up the wrench with the inner one, slide the wrench into both set screws. Only then can the assembly be removed to take the gib out.

Here's a video of the knee ballscrew toolchanger upgrade on mine.

Back