Excellco 602 Mill

I've read that the quill return spring is not designed to actually retract the quill, but rather to maintain or counter weight it. Is this correct?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Making progress and I have a question about the quill feed engagement knob. I'm speaking of the fwd/n/Rev plunger on the fine feed wheel. Are there detents or springs in the plunger? The feel of mine has no feedback. It is very easy to miss the neutral position.

In addition to the question in my last post, I have another.

Is there process for removing the drawbar?! It feels free, but when I try to pull it out of the spindle, it comes up about 1/2" and gets real tight.

you must have a burr someplace. rotate the head horizontal and it should tap right out

Thanks Karl_T, that's what it was. The PO left out the washer that goes on the draw bar to separate the hex head from the spindle. This made the seating point of the drawbar to occur inside the top of the spindle. It popped out when I did what you suggested.

Ok, new question. Any tips for getting the "driveshaft locknut" off? This is the spanner type nut retaining the lower have of the driven pulley.

In the manual, it looks like there are some setscrews that secure that nut. I would rotate the head horizontal and spray that area clean with Brake Cleaner to get a good look at it. If my understanding is correct, remove setscrews before trying to remove the nut.
You could use a piece of appropriate diameter tubing (muffler shop???) to make a spanner wrench for the nut if you need one.

Please post pictures as you go through your project. They will help everyone understand and help the next 602 owner with the same problem.

There is one set screw, though the manual says to "tighten these screws alternately". The parts listing has qty. 1. I have removed the screw. In the photos the threaded hole for the set screw can be seen, as can the two pin holes for a spanner. The pulley face can be raised and lowered about 1/4" with this nut in place, which is making me think something other than the locknut is retaining it.a53ff0e8475d4203c132d8d58d8a057f.jpg8e4558c6e28c6a442b35fd4f67ad4918.jpg

Are you saying that you haven't loosened the nut yet AND the pulley slides 1/4"?
If so, that's not good. I mean the nut is supposed to secure the pulley, not not limit it's travel.
I suggest removing the nut which should allow you to remove the pulley. Take a look at the condition of the key and the bearing below.
If that nut has been loose and has allowed the pulley to wallow around, it may have damage the key (44-4-39-R2), the mating slot in the pulley and generated debris that may have contaminated bearings.

Back