Excellco 602 Mill

Yep, still have to figure out how to do that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yep, still have to figure out how to do that.

Do you mean 'how to unscrew the nut'? If so, it should be loose (unless the pulley is FUBAR) and rotate freely. If you don't have an appropriate spanner, put a pin punch in one of the holes to use as a handle.

My reason for asking was due to the confusing note in the manual as well as the difficulty I was having. I didn't want to break anything. There was in fact only one set screw, and I'm not sure what it's purpose is. I made a pin 'adapter' that I could turn with a hook spanner, couple taps with my dead blow and it came off. Everything related to the pulley face looks good. Now I have to find the leak.8bcb8fb86ceaf66d0527039fa23c932c.jpg7ec5c56ee8e358383a57f468e0191bff.jpg

Excellent. Nice spanner adapter.
Please add a photo of the shaft showing the key/keyway and a close up of the bottom side (keyway) of the pulley.
How does the bearing on the pulley feel?

The purpose of the setscrew is to LOCK the nut to the pulley.
There is certainly some clearance in the fit of the key and keyways. The spindle rotation is constantly being reversed so the rotational clearance in the key fit will eventually loosen the nut. The setscrew is supposed to lock the nut to the pulley so it can't unscrew (which yours apparently did 1/4"). I might suggest adding more setscrews to the nut to improve that locking capability..

Everything looks serviceable from here. How does the bearing feel?

All the bearings feel great, except the 6010 on the top that the fork manipulates, which I have replaced. I'm really relieved to see the condition of the bearings and gears because there was almost no oil in the gear box. Hopefully the new seal and gasket fix that leak. Since there was no oil, I couldn't really tell where it was leaking from.

So, I opened the spindle feed box and swapped the grease. Cleaned the back gear box out and replaced the seal. The only things I've seen bad are the upper bearing, the nylon key and the upper sheave bushings.

I replaced the bearing and machined a new key but I'm stumped by the bushings. I can't find them available for purchase and it seems very difficult to make. They are so thin, and I'm not certain of the material.

Those bushings are not a complete cylinders are they? Doesn't the key interrupt their diameter?
If I've got that correct then they are simple strips constrained in their grooves. I would suggest searching McMaster-Carr for an appropriate material.
I might use Delrin AF (13% PTFE) or maybe one of the low friction tape products depending on dimensional constraints.

Back