Excessive Backlash Y axis of Standard MIll- Not the screws or nuts, playing with shims but stays at .035"- Ideas?

For $205 You will save yourself a ton of time chasing that bend. There are many that will try and fix it, myself included. As stated in the above post. To be able to do it correctly you would need a press and lots of patience.

Out of curiosity did you pick up a new nut also? Or is the old one good still?

Waiting patiently for how it turns out.

Cutting oil is my blood.
With a new screw I would definitely replace a nut that has been run with a bent screw for 20yrs.

Not sure how its even a question to do so.

I didn't initially but you're right- the stock of spares for this machine are somewhat sparse- they did have the back half of the nut and I could machine the insert nut piece if required. These old parts won't be available for long- I think I'll grab them while I can. Thanks for the tip. The 20 years is a bit deceiving really- 20 calendar years, but very low usage. You're right though- Thanks again.

After some searching, found the nut as well. I'll either use them or put them in long term storage that my heirs can sort out likely. Another $200 for the nut- $140 for the casting, $60 for the floating backlash nut. I only paid $2500 for the rig- thought she was a virgin, but unknown to me or the seller, she had seen some early abuse on her way from Bellingham, WA. Live and learn- though likely my last Mill purchase. I will make make one more post to let you know how buttery smooth it all ends up. Many thanks.

Back