EXL56B Ball turning attachment advice

Jay-z

Active User
Registered
Lately I have found the need for a ball turning attachment for my EXL56B. So before I go reinventing the wheel or building one from scratch ( not my first choice) I ask if anyone here has successfully adapted or constructed one for a Sheldon. I have seen the made in India models on the web. Although they look capable I need one able to swing a radius of 2.5 inches. That may sound large for a 10 in swing lathe but the amount of profiling that I have to do is extremely small. Nothing that machine can’t handle. All advice and opinions welcome. Thanks

I just finished one - not for a Sheldon, but it can be adapted to any lathe. Yes, it's built from scratch, but the design is unique and, I would judge, works better that commercially built ones. It is Holescreek's design, described in this link, which also includes the plans.

The design is brilliant -- and the tool works like a charm. The key is the tool's rigidity. It's also fun and relatively easy to build. Hats off to Mike (aka Holescreek) for designing the tool and supplying the plans.

Unfortunately, the tool is too small for swinging a 2.5" radius, but maybe you can use it to suit your needs.

Here is a photo of the tool and one showing it at work on my Smithy lathe -- making the ball for the handle.

The Finished Holescreek Ball Turner.JPG

Making The Turner Ball Handle.jpg

Last edited:
The easiest and quickest way to put one together (assuming you have access to these tools) is mating a mill boaring head with a boaring bar quick change tool holders (aloris type). It will likely be the most adjustable and depending on how its mounted and which side of the pivot the cutting tool is on you will be able to turn both convex and concave shaped parts.

This is a recentish thread on the subject with a few different examples of various styles.

Please keep the ideas coming. I like them both so far. Something to think about over the holidays.

Back