Expanding Collet types

Boris Ludwig

Registered
Registered
I'm using 5C collets and I want to turn pressed nickel silver cups and rings for reel seats. here's an example.

IMG_1022.jpg

So after the cups are drawn I can turn them to finish them off and part the ring from the cup etc.
My questions are expanding 5C collets readily available, if so, where?

Also to make rope knurling I assume I need a special tool. Are fine tools for these applications readily available?

Last edited:
So I'm wondering if these collets expand by being pulled into the spindle taper or do they expand by a set screw in the middle?

The collets use a set screw in the middle. For "rope" knurling you likely need to make your own wheels. Just Google "Rope Knurling tool" - You'll get plenty of examples.

When I bought my lathe there was a box with a bunch of Shop made expanding mandrels , should be makeable.
The od was the size of the Id of the part ,have a threaded hole in center with a Id taper on the end, and four slits cut in end a flat head screw is screwed into it witch expands the mandrel. Haven’t used them , bet they work though.

The collets use a set screw in the middle.

Thanks Chipper

So how can I put a cap on it with a closed end?

Is there such a thing as an expanding collet that expands by the action of pulling the collet into the spindle? That will allow me to put on a cap and the collet tightening up as it's pulled into the spindle.

Thanks Chipper

So how can I put a cap on it with a closed end?

Is there such a thing as an expanding collet that expands by the action of pulling the collet into the spindle? That will allow me to put on a cap and the collet tightening up as it's pulled into the spindle.

Make one, just a simple piece of bar, 4 slits - which can be rough with a hacksaw and a through bolt, with a tapered head in a tapered bore. Make it a bit oversize, then you could just hold it in you 3 jaw, do a final skim as the last operation (with gentle tension on the bolt). Of course you'd have to tighten loosen the bolt with a socket and long extension through the headstock (or pop the chuck off).

Another option, if the cups are precisely sized, you could make a "shrink" mandrel out of steel. Use a hot air gun to heat the cup for installation and removal (the nickel silver will expand faster than the steel).

Let us know how you make out.

Back