[How-To] Expanding Mandrel vs Non Expanding Mandrel

I have to agree. Joe has an amazing arsenal of innovative ways to get the job done quickly and extremely accurately. But he seemed to be all too eager to point out how much better his approach was. That didn't sit right with me. You don't have to run somebody else down to show a better approach.

Craig
Craig,
I found watching Quinn first, caused me to try to out think her (better to say, really imagine how I would approach the same challenge) and when I saw Joe do it, I was impressed by the simplicity of his way. What I saw was a wonderful opportunity for learning and kinship and I also had the learning gain a lot more traction for me personally. If it starts getting to competition about "Patrons" or viewers I tend to rebel a little.

I don't know either personally, so I'm guessing like most people... I didn't get the idea he's really doing the build due to her. He did make a couple "here's another way to do setups". I guess I took it more as a helpful thought, it wasn't until some of the comments that I even considered it might be taken as a "taking pot shots at her". He even said that it's just another way, and complimented "the other builder" on creative approaches with limited machines/tooling. He never called her out by name or said anything I took as insulting.

Initially, he was just showing some ideas. A viewer gifted him the model kit and asked him to document his build. I assume it was someone that is interested in models and wanted to see his way as well. He makes puzzles and other stuff in his spare time, so why not a model? And if the point is "here's another way, and here's why I think it's better than some other options", it's tough to do that without sounding a little "high and mighty". I suspect that might be a reason he went to other parts the other builder had not done yet. But now it's "doing it in advance of her".

I figure there is always a way to look at things that can cause them to sound offensive, even when no offence was intended. It's even worse if you are dealing with writing, but even in person it can be easy to misunderstand. I try to give the benefit of the doubt. If nothing else, it keeps my blood pressure down.

And try not to discount how tough some technical people find people skills. I work in IT and have worked with a lot of people that really are trying, even if it doesn't seem like it to others. For some people, it can border on a disability. It shouldn't be an excuse to be a jerk, but a little understanding can go a long way.

Just tossing out a possible interpretation. At the end of the day, we all make our own decisions how to look at things. My view is no better than anyone else's.
Thanks for your insight and really to all of you for commenting. All these creators provide stuff I love. I never heard any "rumors" and I don't care for any drama. I thought it was just me. I see opportunities missed.

sorry for the thread drift! I don't have expanding mandrels so when I need one I make a fixed size. I do have a couple jigs I use repetitively that use 5c expansion collets. I have also used arbor type things where I threaded for an 1/8" pipe tap and slit longitudinally with the band saw. Not pretty. I'd like a set of expanding mandrels because they are never there when I want them :)

Hey folks..... time for the “dumb question of the day”. I have a set of Cleveland mandrels; 3/8 up to 1 1/2 thanks to eBay. I just watched a YouTube creator use an expanding mandrel to fixture a cylinder casting for a small steam engine. Having little to no real experience, and way too much equipment, I was wondering, what is the advantage to having an adjustable mandrel vs one that is a fixed dimension and do I need expanding mandrels? Had I needed to fixture a steam engine cylinder between centers, would what I have adequately solved the work holding problem.

Cheers, and as always, thanks!

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Derek,
I have watched some of those solutions for the castings and I'm not sure how to answer or what is best. Near as I can tell the whole process is just a way to keep the castings other features reasonably concentric to the bore to be. I do not think it would matter as long as you didn't ignore some gross defects inside the id and didn't clamp too hard. To me it looks like once you can get it running okay just by-eye and are able to access the surface to be machined while holding the part with enough rigidity, you produce the future reference surface that you will live with throughout the rest of the steps..
sounds fun! I'd likely need 3 kits to figure it out. I'm a slow learner.

So, to discuss expanding mandrels.... :) Is there more to them than a tapped hole with a countersink and slots? Drive the screw in and it expands the end out.. A bit like slots in a tool holder that you clamp down on with screws that then clamps the tool... I feel like I'm missing something with them, but never know...

I started watching those videos as I find the model engines interesting and would like to try one sometime.

Metric flat head screws have a 90 degree angle head (opposed to the 82 degrees?on imperial fasteners) and I have used Rhoe to effect on short arbors. An 1/8" npt pipe plug and hole has a long gradual taper with worked better for me on longer sections.

So, to discuss expanding mandrels.... :) Is there more to them than a tapped hole with a countersink and slots? Drive the screw in and it expands the end out.. A bit like slots in a tool holder that you clamp down on with screws that then clamps the tool... I feel like I'm missing something with them, but never know...

I started watching those videos as I find the model engines interesting and would like to try one sometime.
The official ones have a long extern taper with a mated part with a matching taper and opposing slots from what I can see. Sadly, I don't have any...

The official ones have a long extern taper with a mated part with a matching taper and opposing slots from what I can see. Sadly, I don't have any...
It is easy enough to make an arbor to fit your need.

Back