expensive T&C grinders : grinding jig for circular cutting tools ?

The keycutter could work, but you would have to have a very pointy shaped grinding wheel to form a radius on a tool bit. Think about it.

I am still making attachments for my t&c grinder that I built. The radius attachment is on my list for this year. I have been working on the plans for about a year. After looking at several, I have come up with what I want to build. It will be cheap for the material but will take a lot of time.

The keycutter could work, but you would have to have a very pointy shaped grinding wheel to form a radius on a tool bit. Think about it.

For an internal radius, yes. For an external radius, adding a pair of pivots and a linkage would
completely enable flat-face grinding wheels. Usual keycutter wheel is V point, and would
need frequent re-dressing. Round face might be acceptable, too.

A variant (often used in jewelrymaking) is a copper wheel and abrasive slurry. For fine detail,
you can grind without sculpting a stony wheel.

I have a radius grinding attachment for a #2 Cincinnati cutter grinder, It appears to be unused; I think they made two sizes, this is the larger of the two; I would like to sell it.

Using circle gagues and a fine AO wheel I have ground forming tools to various radii. If you are careful, and use a diamond hone, you can hold to 5 tenths, even on small diameters.

Back