Explain something about dovetail cutters

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, so I don’t really like to make tooling, but the budgets all used up and I have work to do. So here goes, and I know it’s not terribly complicated , but I need a little clarification I guess.

Making a “60 degree” dovetail cutter:
1:Turned shank to correct OD and length.
2:Found an insert that’ll probably work.
3:triangle insert is .616” per side, so I’m going with 1.200” major diameter on the cone shaped portion. Figure the insert needs relief, and I’d provide it that way.
4:watch every video and read every forum post I can find trying to decide if the compound should be set at 30 degrees or 60 degrees. Kinda decide it’s 30....then back out and do more searching and reading. Start getting frustrated it’s called a 60 degree cutter if I’m cutting a 30 degree taper. Start thinking I’m obviously not smart enough for this hobby. Remember there are people out here in the ether, that can clear it up with a 3 word sentence.
5:post thread

Machines can have differing compound layouts so cant say what angle yours will read. Just turn it to a visual position thats close to the
desired angle and set with a angle gauge as it must be much more accurate than the compound compass.
A simple sketch of the part can be used to give a visual reminder of how to adjust the machine. Do it all the time!

Maybe post what kinda machine and a pic of your scale but like stated an angle gauge is probably better my scale gets me close than I use an angle gauge

Grizzly G4002 12x24 lathe. The compound graduations would have the compound at zero when the compound is parallel to the work. The graduations then go up in increments on either side of parallel zero. The compound has one witness mark, which is on the blind side because of how I chose to do it. Anyhow, here’s a picture I drew that shows the answer, according to my specific lathe evidently. I did all the turning from one chucking, and had the large end of the taper nearest the chuck. Both angle gauges showed 30 degrees. Tapers done. I’m done for now. I spent an hour trying to figure out a good way to make the nest for the insert without dismounting the vise from the mill. Got it figured out, but will sleep on it.

D685C5CF-C744-452F-B284-43B0E33D9D36.jpeg

Lay the carbide insert on your lathe ways. Align the edge of the insert that is closest to you parallel to the ways, between the spindle and your cross slide. Roughly, by sight, align your compound at the same angle as the right hand edge of the insert. Now, see what's closer... the 60 or 30 or what ever graduation on your compound slide. Next, align your compound to the actual graduation (30 or 60) that is closest and makes sense.

Ted

Included angle, you are removing material from both sides in lathe work.

Back