• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

Extended cross slide travel kit, has anyone used it?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I have a LMS mini lathe 5200, there has been a few occasions when I needed the cross slide to go back a bit so I could put a bigger workpiece in the chuck or use a clamping type knurling device in the tool post( I do it now but I must turn the compound slide 40°), I didn't know LMS sold these Extended cross slide travel kits for all sizes of imported/Chinese lathes and now I'm wondering if anyone else has bought this kit for their lathe and if so, what's the verdict ?

I found through my searching the net that some owners took it upon themselves to just machine the cross slide and take off the excess material and then install a shopmade spacer in order to extend the travel ,so it is possible to just buy the feed screw and do it yourself .
Anyhow, if any of you has done this upgrade, please share your opinion , it'll be greatly appreciated.
Ken.

Last edited:

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I have a 7x10 harbor freight converted to 7x16" that I installed the extended cross slide kit on. It is an excellent purchase and really worth the cost.

Roy

Last edited:

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I have a 7x10 harbor freight converted to 7x16" that I installed the extended cross slide kit on. It is and excellent purchase an really worth the cost.

Roy
Thanks for your reply Roy, when I started this thread I had already ordered the kit,I thought there had to be at least one member who has done this upgrade, I'm glad to hear your positive comment.

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I think you'll enjoy your lathe more with the kit. Let us know how it works for you.
Roy

[6]
[5] [7]