External Threading Tool & Inserts

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just ordered this 16mm shank external threading tool with 10 inserts for less than $20 U.S.!
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=173143881932&view=all&tid=1925610990007

I just can't believe how affordable this stuff is. Based on my recollections (late 20th century), I never expected to be able to buy this kind of tooling.
I've been quite pleased with the other Chinese made tools & inserts I've purchased. Expect the same on this one. At the rate I'm going, this should be a lifetime supply of inserts.

Now I'm shopping for internal threading bars.

Imo, the reason why everything was so expensive back in the day, was because manufactures where price gouging. Consumers didn't have access to information like we do today, let alone the ability to shop around by just clicking a few keys. if you look at the complexity of them, and the price of the stock, tool holders probably cost less than $5 to make.

It'd be nice to be able to support the US economy and "be American, buy American". I try to buy American when the price is in the ballpark; can do the simple math of more dollars leaving our country than coming in equals bankruptcy. But I, like you are not a production shop needing highest of quality so the tooling holds up to 1,000,000 cycles. I've been very pleased with my Chinese tool holder and tooling purchases also. Sure wish someone from this country would make the lower end stuff and be price-competitive.

Bruce

Mr. Whoopee, try looking up seller "zimi-hk" on eBay. I think I bought internal threading boring bars from them in the 321 and 221 sizes. I recall them being in Hong Kong and receiving shipment in less than 4 weeks. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the 321AG60 and 221AG60 bits do 8-48 tpi. I think a "14UN" on the end means 14 tpi. "IR" is internal right hand thread, "ER" is external. There are some insert guides in the downloads that would confirm.

Bruce

Kind of related. The first time I went to use my Chinese tool holder and inserts, I got a weird surface that appeared to be uneven and almost polished.
I found out I need to make deeper cuts with inserts. Makes sense now that I pulled my head out of the dark place.
I am moving toward higher quality tooling. I probably won't know the difference but some of this stuff is so cheap compared to USA quality brands.
You know the old saying, too good to be true.
I hope it works out for you Mr. Whoopee.

Kind of related. The first time I went to use my Chinese tool holder and inserts, I got a weird surface that appeared to be uneven and almost polished.
I found out I need to make deeper cuts with inserts.

I encountered this when I turned a 20mm boring bar down to .750 to fit my holder using a CNMG 432 insert. At the time, I assumed it had to do with the hardness of the bar, but with only .0185 DOC, the .03 nose radius of the insert was probably to blame.

I received the external threading tool. Being a 16mm shank, It barely fits in an AXA XL tool holder, which I expected. I failed to anticipate that it might not be possible to get the holder low enough to put the tool on center. I may have to cut the bottom of the tool. I'm having a hard time adjusting my thinking for a lathe this small. Aside from the Hardinge HLV, all of the lathes in my shop took 3/4 shank tools, sometimes larger.

I've ordered a 20mm internal threading bar with inserts and a 16mm bar that uses the same 16IR-AG60 inserts. I picked this 20mm bar because it has a replaceable seat which many others did not appear to have.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291981011232

1542208484459.png

Here's the 16mm bar. I couldn't find one with a replaceable seat, presumably because there is not enough room.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302392750260

1542209250413.png

Less than $40 all in.

I found out I need to make deeper cuts with inserts. Makes sense now that I pulled my head out of the dark place.
I am moving toward higher quality tooling. I probably won't know the difference but some of this stuff is so cheap compared to USA quality brands.
You know the old saying, too good to be true.
I hope it works out for you Mr. Whoopee.
Half the diameter of the nose radius is a good place to start for a "light" cut with typical general purpose turning inserts. Less that that can cause an irregular finish from the cutter alternately cutting, then pushing off and rubbing. Sharp tools are needed to make tiny cuts that look and measure good.

Back